Robin Christian Peters (Piatt 4-H Video SPIN Club) Director, Dreamscape Cinema http://www.dreamscape.bz/
- “What are the benefits for youth in learning filmmaking?” Having a creative outlet I believe is absolutely vital to everyone, from a young age to old age. Many agree that learning an art, whether it be a musical instrument, writing, drawing, photography, etc, is the easiest and most rewarding creative outlet we can teach young people. That said, there is no single art form that is more collaborative than telling a story with video or film. At a high end level, you'll have a crew and cast of 100 all working to make this thing that will last for generations, and they all had a hand in making it special. On a smaller level, it could be just a single person and a camera making a short film. No matter what the level, youth will experience satisfaction in creating a story using the medium available to all of us...video.
- “What did you personally gain from the experience of being a 4-H video SPIN club leader?” It feels good to give back, as I remember there was no one there for me when I wanted to learn about this.
Callie West (Rock Island Arsenal 4-H Video SPIN Club) University of Illinois student in elementary education
- “What are the benefits for youth in learning filmmaking?” There are a number of benefits for you in learning filmmaking. Besides gaining the technical skills necessary to design their own films and movies and being exposed to another career possibility, youth are given an outlet to express themselves. Creating their own films gives them the freedom to be creative and explore themselves and the world around them to discover who they are as individuals.
- “What did you personally gain from the experience of being a 4-H video SPIN club leader?” By being a 4-H video SPIN leader, I was given the opportunity to grow myself as I assisted the club members with their film projects. I learned much more about myself from working with a great and diverse group of club members. Being a SPIN club leader was a great decision and I would recommend it to anyone- the resources are a great help and the benefits from interacting with the youth are extremely rewarding. I loved the opportunity to help the members learn more about themselves and the filmmaking industry.
Mike Farnon (DuPage 4-H Video SPIN Club) Mike Farnon Productions
- “What are the benefits for youth in learning filmmaking?” Creating television requires research, organization, a willingness to think beyond one's own situation, technical skill and creativity...qualities that also apply to nearly every other aspect of life. Those children who are exposed to creating television early can begin to use these skills to improve their lives just that much sooner.
- “What did you personally gain from the experience of being a 4-H video SPIN club leader?” I enjoy teaching on many levels but the most gratifying experience is the moment when a student "gets it." You can see it in their face. There were many 'moments' at WCRC. The one I remember best is the day we chose a topic for the show. Someone suggested investigating the plight of the homeless, a topic not already listed on the board, and the entire class picked up on it. Within ten minutes we not only had the topic but also an entire outline for the program including questions for the interviews. The energy in the room was palpable.
If an "army runs on its stomach," then 4-H runs on its volunteers. At every level 4-H programs are successful to the extent they tap the creativity, nurturing, wisdom and skills of volunteers. Click here to learn more about 4-H volunteers.