Read the Latest News
Program Coordinator, 4-H and Youth Development
University of Illinois Extension
9623 Wall Street
Nashville, IL 62263
4-H in Washington County
Livestock Judging Team
The Washington County 4-H Livestock Judging Team is open to any Washington County 4-H member that has an interest in learning how to judge beef cattle, sheep and swine. Practices and competitions will both be a part of this experience. The initial plan is to have both a junior and senior team depending on numbers interested.
What you can expect to learn, if you attend the practices:
- Learn how to judge beef cattle, sheep, hogs & goats based upon current industry standards.
- Learn how to evaluate livestock using their composition of bone, muscle & fat.
- Learn how to use genetic information to aid in the selection of breeding animals.
- Learn how to make better decisions by more accurately gathering facts. This is an important skill that will help you to be more successful in school, college and in life.
- Learn how to improve your communication skills by presenting oral reasons on classes of livestock. Talking in front of people can be scary to many people, but mastering this skill will allow you to succeed in interviews (4-H projects, scholarships, job, etc.). Being able to communicate effectively is the most important skill a person can develop for future career and college success.
Let us know if you are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity!