Edgar County Green Pride Press
In This Issue
- May, 2017
- Upcoming Events
- Christmas In May? YES it is!
- Archery Update
- HEY, 4-H’ers...remember our Edgar County 4-H Attendance policy!!
- Beginner Rocket Building Workshop
- 4-H AG OLYMPICS
- CUPCAKE DECORATING WORKSHOP
- Cooking School
- 4-H Federation News
- The 4-H PORK CHOP BBQ IS COMING!
- 4-H Club Corner
- Attention ALL Livestock Exhibitors!
- PQA required annually for ALL swine exhibitors
- Attention All Illinois State Fair Livestock Exhibitors
- General Livestock Information
- 2017 County 4-H Fair Handbook Changes
- Welcome New 4-H Members
- Congratulations to our 2017 Graduates
Welcome NEW MEMBERS to Edgar County 4-H! We're excited to have 44 new members join us for a fun and educational year. Here are some basics new members should know:
· Read your Green Pride Press newsletter each month! It contains important information that will benefit your participation in the 4-H program. Stay informed and know what is going on in 4-H. Keep each issue for reference. A good place to store them would be in your...
· Edgar County 4-H Handbook. This 3-ring binder has all the information you need about the 4-H program policies, awards and recognition, events, project requirements, general information and more! Each new member family will receive one for the duration of your family's 4-H career. Updates are found on our county website….it is your job to keep your handbook updated. If you have not received your handbook, check with your club leader.
· Check out our county website! web.extension.illinois.edu/cce/ Here you will find forms, fair and event information, the 4-H Handbook, pictures and lots more. It's just another way for you to know what's happening in Edgar County 4-H!
· Like our Facebook page….Edgar County 4-H!
· New Members...you should have received a new member information packet in the mail. You've enrolled in 4-H...now what?? This packet included some helpful information to get you started and on your way to a successful showing at the 4-H Fair.
· We are here to help YOU! Give us a call in the office with any questions you might have. We want you to learn and grow…...4-H is FUN!
Edgar County is part of a 3-county unit which includes Crawford, Clark and Edgar counties. 4-H'ers are welcome to attend events in any county within the unit with permission from the sponsoring county.
May 1 Enrollment Fees due from Clubs
May 1 PQA Training, 6 PM at Vermilion UMC (prior to Stratton club meeting)
May 4 Shooting Sports—Advanced Archery, 6 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
May 6 ISF Sheep & Meat Goat ID, Coles County fairgrounds, 10:30 to noon
May 11 Shooting Sports— Shotgun @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club, 6 PM
May 11 Shooting Sports—Beginner/Intermediate Archery, 6 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
May 13 OCP Christmas Stocking Project, 9 AM to 2 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
May 15 FAIR REGISTRATION OPENS online @ FairEntry.com
May 18 Shooting Sports—Air Rifle/.22 Rifle, 6 PM @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club
May 20 Dog Obedience Classes begin, 8 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
May 22 Senior Night Pizza Party at Federation meeting, 7 PM @ Extension office
May 25 Shooting Sports—Shotgun, 6 PM @ EC Sportsman's Club
May 27 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
May 29 Extension office closed in observance of Memorial Day
June 1 QAEC Deadline for Certification
June 1 Shooting Sports—Advanced Archery, 6 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 3 Beginner Rocket Workshop, 9 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 3 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 4 PQA Training, 4 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 6 DISCOVER St. Louis Federation Trip
June 8 Shooting Sports—Beginner/Intermediate Archery, 6 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 10 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 12 4-H AG Olympics @ the Martinsville Ag Fair, 6 PM
June 14 "Cooking for Kids" Cooking School, 9 AM to 2 PM @ Ext. office
June 15 FAIR REGISTRATION CLOSES online @ FairEntry.com
June 17 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 20 Cupcake Decorating Workshop, 10 AM to Noon @ Ext. office
June 20 LEADERS MEETING, 6 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 22 4-H BBQ Bash, 5 PM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 24 4-H BBQ
June 24 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 27 NEW MEMBER Q & A Open House, 5 to 6 PM @
July 21-26 Edgar County 4-H Fair
July 16-23 Illinois Jr. Horse Show
August 11 Edgar County day to exhibit projects at State Fair
Christmas In May? YES it is!
HCE and 4-H will be teaming up again this year for the OCP Christmas Stocking Project. Join us on Saturday, May 13 anytime from 9 AM to 2 PM at the 4-H Fairgrounds. We will be making Christmas stockings to send to our service men and women who are deployed overseas. Operation Christmas Package (OCP) is a military support group based in Joliet, IL active in helping our troops for 10 years. Join us for whatever amount of time you can give to make a difference for those who sacrifice so much!
Archery will now meet on the 1st and 2nd Thursdays of the month. Advanced will meet on the 1st Monday and Beginner/Intermediate will meet on the 2nd Monday. 6 PM at the 4-H Fairgrounds.
HEY, 4-H’ers...remember our Edgar County 4-H Attendance policy!!
In order to participate in the 2017 4-H fair...
· Youth that re-enroll in a 4-H Club must attend a minimum of three (3) club meetings
· Participate in the BBQ Bash (BBQ prep) and 4-H BBQ.
· FIRST year members must attend two (2) meetings. College aged members must attend one meeting. If you have any questions about fulfilling these requirements please talk with your Club Leader(s) or contact the Extension office at 465-8585.
Beginner Rocket Building Workshop
Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9 AM
4-H Fairgrounds, Multi-purpose building
All 4-H'ers enrolled in 1st, 2nd or 3rd year Aerospace are invited to this workshop! Led by Rick Bennett & family, this workshop will get you started on building your rocket. Kits will be available to purchase. Parent(s), other adult or older 4-H'er should accompany the 4-H'er to the workshop. If you bring your own rocket, it must be a kit that is allowed for your division in Aerospace:
1st Year – Alpha Rocket Only
2nd & 3rd Year – Single stage rocket with balsa fins and B6-4 engine.
This a FREE project workshop!
Please phone the Extension Office to register at 465-8585.
4-H AG OLYMPICS
4-H Night at the Martinsville Ag Fair.
4-H AG OLYMPICS
MONDAY, JUNE 12 @ 6 PM in front of the Grandstand, Martinsville Fairgrounds!
WANTED: Teams of six 4-H members—represent your 4-H CLUB!!!
AGE CATEGORIES: Cloverbuds through 4-H age youth
Contact the office for more information at 465-8585.
Grab some friends, make a team and join the FUN!
CUPCAKE DECORATING WORKSHOP
June 20 10AM to Noon @ Ext. Office—$10
With Edgar Co. 4-H Alum, Lauren (Funkhouser) Eloe! Participants will learn basic decorating skills while making a sunflower, sheep and blueberry pie cupcake!
Cooking SchoolWednesday, June 14
9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Edgar County Extension Office, 210 W. Washington St., Paris
$10 per participant
Open to all youth 4th grade and older.
Pre-register by June 7 at web.extension.illlinois.edu/cce or call the Edgar County Extension Office at 217-465-8585.
4-H Federation News
SENIOR NIGHT! May 22 at 7 PM at the Extension office.
For our last official meeting of the year, we will be having a pizza party and celebrating our graduating seniors, Nick Hamilton and Alayna Moore. We will also be doing a community service project and making table decorations for area nursing homes.
DISCOVER ST. LOUIS TRIP—JUNE 6 Cost is $20, must be registered and money turned in by May 12. You must have attended at least three Federation meetings this year to qualify for this trip.
The 4-H PORK CHOP BBQ IS COMING!
Saturday, June 24
The Annual 4-H Pork Chop BBQ will be held on Saturday, June 24 from 4 to 7 PM. The BBQ Bash will be held on Thursday, June 22 at 5 PM at the fairgrounds. Your leaders have received BBQ ticket packets for each member to sell. The Extension office is asking for your help with our bookkeeping for tickets sales as we must pay sales tax on each ticket sold. Here are a few guidelines to follow:
· ALL unsold tickets and ticket money must be turned in either at the BBQ BASH, the BBQ or in the office at any time prior to the BBQ. DO NOT THROW AWAY UNSOLD TICKETS. Unsold tickets must be turned in to the office.
· You may sell more than one packet of tickets, but you must turn in your $$ from the first packet before you receive a new packet of tickets to sell. You may turn in $$ and get more tickets through the Extension office. Please keep track of any donations you may receive in order to avoid paying sales tax on that money.
· Leaders...please remember to return the list of who did or did not receive tickets to the office. Please return any ticket packets not handed out to the office. Leaders also have the sign-up sheets for working the BBQ.
IT TAKES ALL OF US WORKING TOGETHER TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL FUNDRAISER!!
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!
4-H Club Corner
Club Leaders and Officers.....do you have news to share or an event to promote for your club? Put it in the 4-H CLUB CORNER! This spot is reserved just for YOU and if we need more space….we'll make the corner bigger! Get your news to the Extension office by phone or email before the 20th of each month and we will share your news and information for you.
· Leaders, enrollment fees are due in the office on May 1. You should have received a club roster so that you know the total amount due in the office. If you have any questions, please give us a call.
· Leaders, please be sure to let us know who received BBQ tickets here in the office. Return your list to us as soon as you can! We must keep accurate records because we are required to pay sales tax on each ticket sold. Thanks for your cooperation with this!
· BBQ WORK LISTS DUE IN OFFICE BY JUNE 5!!
· 4-H'ers…..FAIR REGISTRATION WILL DONE ONLINE this year!! We will be mailing out information on this process in early May. Fair registration will open on May 15 and close on June 15.
· Attendance Policy—if you are not going to make the 3 meeting rule, you may visit another club to get your meetings in so you can show at the fair! Contact a club leader and let them know you would like to attend their meeting and then communicate that with your own club leader for the attendance credit. Don't delay!! Many clubs don't have meetings after May and June.
· Next Leader's Meeting is TUESDAY, JUNE 20 at 6 PM at the 4-H fairgrounds.
· DATE CHANGE! Ft. Sumpter meeting for May will held be on May 22 @ 7 PM at the fairgrounds.
Attention ALL Livestock Exhibitors!
QA&E Certification Required
This is required one time of all members who are enrolled in a livestock project area (including Dog and Rabbits). MUST BE COMPLETED BY JUNE 1. Failure to do so will result in your removal from the project area. If you have questions, contact the office at 465-8585. QAEC website:
PQA required annually for ALL swine exhibitors
Attendance at one of the meetings is REQUIRED for you to exhibit at the fair and sell at the auction. If you do not attend a training, you will have to complete the training online. It is in your best interest to make attendance at a face to face training a priority! Thanks to Angie Hamilton and Karen Webster for providing the training for these classes!
May 1 at 6 PM (prior to the Stratton Jr. Farmer's club meeting) at the Vermilion United Methodist Church.
June 4 at 4 PM at the 4-H Fairgrounds Multi-Purpose building.
For more information, contact the Extension office at 465-8585.
Online training website is: www.pork.org/youth-pqa-plus/
Attention All Illinois State Fair Livestock Exhibitors
ALL Jr. Livestock Exhibitors to the 2017 ISF MUST have their entries signed by County Extension offices before exhibitors place them in the mail to the State Fair Entry office. Entries must be postmarked by JULY 1, Horse by JUNE 1, and Dog by AUGUST 1. A separate check will need to be made for Jr. show and Open show entries.
The website for entry forms is: http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/premium/.
Alivia Cline of New Providence Pioneers was the winner of the 2017 Lamb Giveaway Contest!!
Special thanks goes out to Steve and Marlene Terrell for donating the lamb for the contest. We appreciate your support of our 4-H youth!
General Livestock Information
The 4-H year has flown by quickly. Spring is a great time to get serious about your 4-H projects if you have not already done so. It is exciting to think about all the possible activities and exhibit ideas you have with each project and narrowing down the list to what you will exhibit at the 4-H Fair.
Here's some things to consider:
· Carefully read the Edgar County 4-H Handbook to know the specific requirements for your 4-H Fair exhibit. How you do/exhibit your project is found in the handbook NOT in the project manuals. Nothing is more disappointing than taking a project to the fair to find out you have not met the exhibit requirements. Please call the Extension Office if you have questions about your fair exhibit.
· Take the time to thoroughly look through your project books. These books are University researched information where you can learn a lot. Although it is not a requirement, it is a recommendation that you do as many activities as possible. Challenge yourself to go above and beyond! Use the information from your project book to develop your talk or demonstration if you have not already given yours this year. Rather than just making a fair exhibit, make it your goal to learn everything about this project that you possibly can!
· If possible, share your project before the fair with someone to get their feedback. That will give you an opportunity to make improvements to your project prior to the fair.
Our members always strive to do their best and so our goal this year is to see more high quality projects in our general building and livestock barns. We hope to have 4-H'ers who can share with their judges how you experimented, practiced, researched, and went above and beyond the basic requirements in your project!
2017 County 4-H Fair Handbook ChangesWe are very busy preparing for the 2017 4-H Fair...it will be here before we know it! Part of that process is evaluating the various project areas and making changes as necessary. The handbook has been updated and posted to our website. Each new member family will receive a 3-ring binder handbook for your entire 4-H career. Please read your project requirements carefully! It is YOUR responsibility to know the rules for each project area and to make the appropriate changes to your family's handbook each year.
· You will receive a 2017 4-H Fair Schedule with your fair registration information….please refer to the schedule for all project judging dates and times. Please check the schedule carefully! General projects, depending on the category, are judged on different days and times. Changes have been made to some project categories as to when they are judged!!
· Please read your Edgar County 4-H Handbook carefully. Many of the project exhibit requirements have been reworded or rewritten due to changes from the state 4-H office. Always check your project exhibit requirements before starting work on your project. If you have questions, call us in the Extension office!
· Edgar County 4-H'ers will exhibit general projects at the Illinois State Fair on Friday, August 11. To be eligible to show at the Illinois State Fair you must be selected as a State Fair Delegate or Alternate. In the event the delegate is unable to exhibit at state fair, the alternate will be able to go in their place. State Fair exhibition is open to all 4-H members ages 8-18 as of September 1, 2016. State Fair delegates meeting will be held at the fair on Tues., July 25 @ 1:30 PM in the Exhibit Hall building. If you are going to state fair with your project, you should attend this meeting!
Welcome New 4-H Members
Congratulations to our 2017 Graduates
Now that you've graduated,
Your adventure has begun.
Your schooling has
For the race life has you run.
We praise you for your efforts,
And send good wishes, too,
For a future filled with
And your fondest dreams
By Joanna Fuchs