February is National Heart Month! Oats and other high-fiber foods can help reduce "bad" cholesterol. Try this heart-healthy Breakfast Oats recipe for a delicious way to stay healthy!
|8 slices day-old bread|
|¾ cup dry oatmeal|
|2 eggs, beaten|
|1½ cups low-fat milk|
|½ cup brown sugar|
|1 tsp. cinnamon|
½ cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly oil 9X13 baking dish
- Place bread cubes into bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle with oats.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add chopped nuts to egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and gently mix.
- Bake until golden brown, about 1 hour.
a meat thermometer to make sure eggs are thoroughly cooked. Casserole
should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
1. Add your favorite fruit for an extra nutritious topping!
Questions? Contact Sarah Dirks, Community Worker, Snap-Ed at email@example.com