November 10, 2011
Thanksgiving is almost here! Is your mouth watering over the delicious meals that will be had? At the center of many Thanksgiving meals is the turkey. In honor of the turkey that will be served at Thanksgiving here are a few turkey facts from University of Illinois Turkey for the Holidays website.
- 88% of Americans surveyed by the National Turkey Federation eat turkey at Thanksgiving.
- The average weight of a turkey purchased at Thanksgiving is 15 pounds.
- Wild turkeys can run 20 miles per hour.
- It takes 75-80 pounds of feed to raise a 30 pound tom turkey.
- Forty-five million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving. Twenty-two million turkeys are eaten each Christmas. Nineteen million turkeys are eaten each Easter.
For more information on Turkeys including selection, cooking, history, Turkey fun, farms, and more visit the Turkey for the Holidays webpage at http://urbanext.illinois.edu/turkey/.