University of Illinois Extension serving Christian, Jersey, Macoupin and Montgomery Counties
#1 Industrial Park Dr.
Hillsboro, IL 62049
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 12 pm, 1 pm to 4:30 pm
1120 N Webster St.
Taylorville, IL 62568
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am to 11:30am, 12:30pm to 4.30pm
201 W. Exchange St.
Jerseyville, IL 62052
Hours: Tuesday & Wednesday 8 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4:30 pm and Thursday 8 am to 12 pm
#60 Carlinville Plaza
Carlinville, IL 62626
Hours: Monday - Thursday 8 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 4:30 pm
Make manure safety a priority
October 27, 2016
Sources: Richard Gates, 217-244-2791, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jay Solomon, 815-235-4125, email@example.com
News Writer: Leanne Lucas, 217-244-2862, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recent deaths of cattle in the Illinois-Iowa-Wisconsin region point to pit gases as the culprit.
- Hydrogen sulfide and methane gasses from liquid/slurry stores can be lethal to animals and people.
- Remember key safety rules before agitating and emptying manure stores.
- Make sure new or inexperienced workers are trained in safety.
URBANA, Ill. - With harvest winding down and manure application underway, it's a good time to remember manure safety, says Rich Gates, professor and Extension specialist at the University of Illinois. "Any liquid/slurry stores, when agitated, will release toxic hydrogen sulfide and methane gasses that can be lethal. Last summer, during agitation of a large manure storage tank in Wisconsin, a young farmer was killed from manure gas, along with 16 cows. This past weekend in mid-October there were three more incidents, with at least 61 cattle reported to have been killed in four incidents in the tri-state area.”
It is important to remember the key safety rules when agitating and emptying manure stores. These rules include taking steps to promote ventilation, removing workers and if possible animals, from buildings or nearby downwind structures, starting the agitation slowly, and watching for any harmful effects. Never enter an enclosed manure store without appropriate precautions, and be mindful that you can be overcome with a single breath if concentrations are high.
Facts surrounding the most recent incidents are sketchy, but custom applicators reported high to dangerous levels of hydrogen sulfide on the ground near tankers and in the cab of tractors during filling, according to a news release from Kevin Erb, University of Wisconsin Extension.
“Levels of hydrogen sulfide over 10 parts per million (ppm) should be considered dangerous, with most personal alarms set at 10 to 20 ppm,” says University of Illinois Extension educator Jay Solomon. “Levels of 1-10 ppm cause irritation, 10-50 ppm cause more serious problems with eyes and respiratory tract, and above 50 ppm can be lethal quickly.” He also noted that this latest set of mortalities occurred in naturally ventilated deep-pit beef operations.
"Don't forget the importance of ensuring that new or inexperienced workers are also trained in safety," Gates concludes.
Local Contact: Gary Letterly, Extension Educator, Energy and Environmental Stewardship, email@example.com