Extension Educator, Horticulture
February 9, 2010
February 9, 2010
WRD ENVIRONMENTAL IS CURRENTLY SEEKING:
Program Manager for Calumet Stewardship Corps
WRD Environmental, an ecological design/build firm that creates and fosters environmentally responsible landscapes, is seeking a Program Manager to design, plan, coordinate and direct the new Calumet Stewardship Corps (CSC). The program will be a restoration-based initiative of the Greencorps Chicago Program. Greencorps Chicago (GCC) is the City of Chicago Department of Environment's community greening and job training program run in partnership with WRD Environmental. Greencorps Chicago's mission is to promote establishment of natural spaces that are safe, healthy and sustainable through hands-on involvement with trainees and community partners.
This position is a full-time assignment through December 2011 that is funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) through the U.S. Forest Service. The program's intent is to build on existing momentum in the Calumet region of Chicago to restore more than 4,000 acres of open space in the Calumet Open Space Reserve.
As part of the CSC program, between 8 and 16 trainees from the Calumet region will be hired and trained in a range of skills including but not limited to ecological restoration, native plantings, invasive species control, basic horticulture, forestry, pesticide application, prescribed burns and more. Additional environmentally focused training may be provided through Greencorps training partners. Work will be conducted primarily in the Calumet region of Chicago on the City's far southeast side at properties owned by the City of Chicago, Chicago Park District, Forest Preserve District of Cook County, and others. The Program Manager will serve as a WRD consultant to the Chicago Department of Environment to implement the program.
The responsibilities of the Program Manager include:
- Manage and supervise crews-on site each day and transport to and from work sites;
- Design the overall program and schedule for the two-year period;
- Create weekly schedule;
- Develop or adapt restoration curriculum and activities to prepare trainees with knowledge to complete field projects;
- Train crew in ecological restoration, landscape and related fields and arrange for outside trainers and speakers
- Work with City departments and sister and partner agencies to identify and schedule appropriate field projects for CSC crews;
- Evaluate and document crew performance on a monthly basis;
- Document project progress, manage budget and track data for ARRA reporting;
- Assist with special projects, events and other tasks as needed.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Graduate of an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Restoration Ecology, Natural Resource Management or related field and five years experience in ecological site restoration, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Three years experience managing or leading field crews;
- Experience teaching in a classroom and/or field setting a plus;
- Project management experience, including program design and budget management;
- Construction, carpentry, hardscape, tree care, urban agriculture experience a benefit;
- Possessing a current Illinois pesticide applicator license or ability to secure one within two months;
- Having Forest Service S-130/S-190 burn training required; S-290/S-390 preferred with experience in active crew work on prescribed burns in the Chicagoland region;
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently while adhering to goals and timelines;
- Ability to work with a diverse population of hard to employ individuals and a wide range of partners;
- Understanding of the Calumet Region of Chicago a plus;
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects (50 – 75 lbs) and work outside in inclement weather and extreme temperatures;
- Must have a valid Illinois driver=s license with clean driving record for the duration of the project
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends, evenings or holidays (schedule to be determined).
Salary range is $40,000 to $53,000 depending on experience.
Resumes accepted until February 17, 2010. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. WRD Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit resume in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format to:
Attn: Roxann SalinasE-mail- wrdcaluresume@