Canning Jams and Jellies: Use a Reliable Recipe
Follow Directions Exactly! Reliable recipes have been kitchen tested.
- They produce the same good results each time.
- Ingredients are measured.
- Cooking times and processing times have been set.
- Each recipe has its own processing time.
- Follow directions carefully!
- Time differs with size of jar.
- Too little can result in spoilage.
Canning Without Sugar
- Sugar does not preserve the fruit; sugar helps fruit hold it's shape, color and flavor.
- Splenda® is the only sugar substitute that can be successfully added to replace sugar in fruits and sweet spreads.
- Saccharin sweeteners turn bitter.
- Aspartame sweeteners lose their sweetness.