Project Photos and Data
This project dealt with the clover study in cool season grasses for the University of Illinois Dudley Smith Farm.
2010 Project Photos and Data
The Dudley Smith Initiative 2010 data can be viewed here.
- Seed increase completed at Dudley Smith Farm and Urbana.
- Demonstration plots and Bulk plots of Tropical Maize were produced at Dudley Smith Farm.
- Plots were sampled for Biomass and Grain production.
- Plots were harvested with the Biomass Baled.
- Baled material was provided to a collaborator to produce pellets and evaluate Btu value.
- Tropical Maize was also produced for silage at Urbana and was used in a Beef Cattle feed trial.
- Collaborating farmers also produced bulk plots in Mattoon, IL (Dalane Allenbaugh Farm) and Prescott, WI (George Jacques Farm).
- 2011 Plans include producing more seed, producing bulk plots with promising hybrids from the 2010 Demonstration, finalize plans to provide biomass for making pellets and cofiring for thermal energy.
- Stalk sugar extract and dry material is currently being evaluated for fermentation value for ethanol and butanol production.
- Data is being evaluated for long term economic analysis of production costs and potential revenues under the USDA BCAP Program.
- Analysis and information of USDA Biomass Program policy is being conducted and will be provided in the future.