Signup to receive email updates
follow our RSS feed
Monday, March 10, 2014
- 4 inch soil temp: 28.6 degrees F.
- Tis the season for selecting your summer vegetables. Our love affair with tomatoes has made the choice of what 'love apple' to grow somewhat complicated with all the different lingo. Check out this great article on tomato terminology.
- As new vegetable gardeners it may be tempting to begin your gardening adventure by starting your own seed. However, for your first year it is best to purchase transplants from a local garden center, the farmers market, or make an arrangement with someone who can start the seeds for you. Seed starting is a science in and of itself with its own pitfalls and may discourage you before you even get out in the garden.
- For those of you whom are familiar with canning, I invite you to explore how to preserve leafy greens. If you are not an experienced canner, I will provide education on that as the year goes on. For safety sake, don't teach yourself! We will get there soon.
- Blanchingis a must for almost all vegetables to be frozen. It stops enzyme actions which can cause loss of flavor, color and texture. Learn the basics of blanching here!