Extension will share how to start a school garden with teachers, school staff, parents and community members in the Growing Healthy Kids with School Gardens Workshop. First meeting is October 2nd.
Explore Local Programs
- * Unit 1 Programs and Events
- 4-H Tech Wizards
- Community Gardening Project
- Food Enterprise Center
- Illinois Cottage Food Operation Information
- Jo Daviess County 4-H
- Jo Daviess County Scholarships
- Jo Daviess Master Naturalists
- JoDaviess County Master Gardeners
- Public Value Statements
- Stephenson County 4-H
- Stephenson County Master Gardeners
- Stephenson Local Foods Initiative
- Unit 1 Ag Newsletter
- Unit 1 Extension Council Meetings
- Winnebago County 4-H
- Winnebago County Master Gardeners
- Winnebago Local Foods Initiative
- Winnebago Master Naturalists
- Illinois Nutrition Education Programs
- Tea With The Gardeners
Register by September 19, 2017
- Decorating With Grapevines (Jo Daviess)
Register by September 25, 2017
- Winter Squash: Get The Scoop (Jo Daviess)
Register by September 26, 2017
- Growing Healthy Kids with School Gardens Workshop
Register by October 1, 2017
- National 4-H Volunteer e-Forum - Session 1
Register by October 2, 2017
- 4-H Archery Shooting Sports Program (Stephenson)
Register by October 9, 2017
- Clearing the Air about Radon (Stephenson Co.)
Register by October 10, 2017
- Fruit Trees, Brambles and Berries (Jo Daviess)
Register by October 23, 2017
- Saving Money with Smart Meters (Freeport)
Register by October 24, 2017
- National 4-H Volunteer e-Forum - Session 2
Register by October 30, 2017
- Winnebago 4-H Recognition Event (Rockford)
Register by November 16, 2017
- Rain Gardens/Rain Barrels (Galena)
Register by December 4, 2017
- National 4-H Volunteer e-Forum - Session 3
Register by December 4, 2017
- Illinois Food Service Sanitation Manager Course, Dec. Freeport
Register by December 11, 2017
- Winnebago 4-H Robotics Club
Register by January 15, 2018
Read the Latest News
- » Hill and Furrow Blog
Current topics about crop production in Western Illinois, including field crops research at the NWIARDC in Monmouth.
- » Hort in the Home Landscape Blog
A blog devoted to sharing timely horticulture topics and answering the questions of gardeners and homeowners.
- » Illinois Nutrition Edition Blog
A Source for Health Information You Can Trust
- » Northern Illinois Agriculture Blog
University of Illinois Extension
- » Northwest Illinois Horticulture Corner Blog
In the far Northwest Corner of Illinois, gardening is a very popular pastime! Get your info here!
- » Raise, Grow, Harvest, Eat, Repeat Blog
A blog for growers, consumers, and backyard gardeners to grow, eat, and connect in the local food system.
- » The Ag Engineering Update Blog
The latest and greatest from your livestock engineers.
- » The Cattle Blog
- » The Cattle Connection Blog
The cattlemen's connection to timely topics, current research, and profitable management strategies
- » The Small Ruminant Blog
Marketing & Outlook
- Home Yard and Garden Pest
Provides timely information on insect, weed, and plant disease pests for landscapers, arborists, lawn care professionals, golf course personnel, and garden center operators.
- The Bulletin
Weekly bulletins during the growing season, letting you know what problem pests to look for before they reach your field.
- Weekly Outlook
Published each Monday and addresses current and prospective developments in crop and livestock markets.
- Clearing the Air about Radon
- Saving Money with Smart Meters
- Growing Healthy Kids with School Gardens Workshop Series
- Fruit Trees, Brambles, and Berries
- Decorating with Grapevines
- Small Business Workshop Offered in Pecatonica
- Stephenson County member wins 4-H Dairy Judging Contest
- Rain Barrels/Rain Gardens
- What is so great about Winter Squash?
- University of Illinios Extension to Offer Diabetes Class
- Scholarship Recipients Announced by Stephenson County 4-H and Extension Foundation
- 4-H Air Rifle Program Kicks Off New Year
- PRETZEL CITY KITCHENS SET TO OPEN AT WAGNER HOUSE
- Plant a Row for the Hungry Summer Kick off
- Highland Farmers Market in Freeport returns for sixth season
- Lena Farmers Market opens with a new day & time
- Extension Master Gardener Helpline Ready to Answer Gardening Questions
- 2016 Weed Control Guide Now Available
- Palmer amaranth could affect Illinois soybean yield
University of Illinois Extension serving Jo Daviess, Stephenson and Winnebago Counties
Main Office (Stephenson County)
Highland Community College, Bldg R
2998 W Pearl City Rd
Freeport, IL 61032
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Branch Office (Jo Daviess County)
204 Vine, PO Box 600
Elizabeth, IL 61028
SNAP Ed Office
650 North Main St
Rockford, IL 61103
Branch Office (Winnebago County)
1040 North Second Street
Rockford, IL 61107
Cost savings & better energy choices start with knowledge. Join Jay Solomon, Extension Educator, for an overview of the basics of Smart Meter technology and proactively managing your energy use and costs. Details & registration is below.
Food Service Sanitation Manager Course to be offered yet in Freeport in December, 2017. See flyer below for the details and to register!
Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. Radon is a colorless, odorless gas and is found in homes throughout Illinois. Learn more at news release below.
Join us in this fun fall program, as Diane Reinhold, Extension Nutrition & Wellness Educator, discusses how to select and store winter squash. As well as discussing a variety of common and not so common varieties of winter squash.
Master Gardener Sharon Cahill will offer tips on working with grapevines while demonstrating how to make wreaths, balls, and trees out of grapevines and then you will have the opportunity to make your own decoration to take home.
There are a number of things that local government officials can do to help their communities retain youth or return after college. Join this free webinar on Thursday, September 28 from Noon to 1pm to learn these strategies.
University of Illinois Extension Local Foods and Small Farms Educator Grant McCarty will share his extensive knowledge on Fruit Trees, Brambles, and Berries. This will be a 3 part series with each night focusing on a different fruit.
Welcome to the University of Illinois Extension serving JoDaviess, Stephenson, and Winnebago Counties. Using the vast resources of the Univ. of IL, the Extension provides practical, research-based information to make a positive difference in people's lives. Explore our website and let us help you put knowledge to work!