Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development, Metro
University of Illinois Extension
1040 North Second Street
Rockford, IL 61107
4-H Tech Wizards
The Mission of 4-H Tech Wizards is to provide a cultural responsive after school, small-group mentoring program. Tech Wizards capitalizes on youth interested in emerging technology as a way of involving under-represented youth and their families in learning basic life and workforce skills and aspiring to post-secondary education, productive jobs and careers, and community engagement.
4-H Tech Wizards is a highly original tiered mentoring project involving over twenty community organizations focused on assisting Rockford under-represented youth to acquire the mindsets and skill sets necessary to become tomorrow’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) professionals, as well as industry and community leaders!
- Encourage youth to complete high school.
- Provide youth with the experience of being a community resource through their community service projects.
- Encourage family and community support for youth participants by increasing understanding and informed use of technology.
- Provide long-term, sustainable organizations, relationships, and programs focused on youth life-skills development (i.e. presentations, goal setting, and work place standards.).
- Encourage youth to consider careers in technology, math, and science.
- Create and deliver high quality experiential learning opportunities that enable youth to develop STEM competencies and life skills through involvement in real-world projects.
This program is offered to middle school youth, who will participate in experiential learning activities focused on STEM education and careers. Youth will learn about robotics, aerospace, wind energy, GPS, digital video, 3-D printing and other project areas through after-school hands-on activities, along with summer capstone camps, and service learning projects.
4-H Tech Wizards is unique because it provides mentors for youth who teach STEM Related Skills and positive life skills while being positive role models. The small group mentoring program is designed to assist young people throughout their changing social, emotional, and academic stages, by strengthening their cultural identity, strengthening intergenerational relationships, utilizing local resources, and providing youth with the skills and service opportunities they need to become caring, contributing and participating adults in the Rockford community.