Please click a category to view the included resources.
Extension Educator, Local Food Systems and Small Farms
University of Illinois Extension
1650 Commerce Drive
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
- 2015 Avian Influenza Outbreak
Information and resources related to the Midwest Bird Flu outbreak of 2015 for backyard enthusiasts and small farm producers.
- 6 Ways To Prevent Poultry Diseases
- Are You Being Bugged by Buffalo Gnats?
Recently several areas in Illinois have reported large numbers of black flies have been biting poultry, pets, livestock, and people. Several poultry have died as a result of these attacks and more than 40 people have sought medical attention.
- Avian Influenza Basics for Organic and Pastured Poultry Flocks
Avian influenza information from the University of Minnesota Extension that is focused on the health management needs of the small poultry flock farmer.
- Avian Influenza Basics for Urban and Backyard Poultry Flocks
Avian influenza information from the University of Minnesota Extension that is focused on the health management needs of the backyard poultry flock.
- Bird Flu WEBINAR - What small producers and backyard enthusiasts need to know
Although the bird flu virus has not yet been reported in Illinois, its presence in several Midwestern states is close enough to home to cause concern. University of Illinois Extension WEBINAR on the topic
- Department of Animal Sciences
College of ACES - University of Illinois
- Extension Publications
This site has approximately 550 poultry related articles linked to various universities throughout the United States. Maintained by Purdue University Animal Sciences.
- Illini Poultry NET
University of Illinois online resource for the poultry industry.
- Pastured Poultry Production and Profitability
ATTRA Webinar. "Pastured Poultry Production and Profitability" covers the basics of pastured poultry production as well as common advantages and pitfalls of getting started in the business and keys to keeping operations profitable.
- U.S. EPA - Poultry Production
Background, production phases and systems, nutrition, manure handling systems environmental impacts, and references.
- USDA Organic; Substances for Organic Crop + Livestock Production
July 2013. The USDA National Organic Program (NOP) has released a new fact sheet summarizing allowed and prohibited substances in organic crop and livestock production and processing.