Clay Stains on Baseball Uniforms
Treat stains as soon as possible after staining. The older the stain, the more difficult it will be to remove.
All stain removal methods should be applied prior to laundering washable garments. Stains that have been laundered and dried are almost impossible to remove.
Steps to Clean
Baseball is a popular pastime for children and adults alike. Baseball fields typically have red clay dirt surfaces. While the red clay dirt looks nice from the stands, it stains baseball uniforms quite easily. Treat red clay dirt stains on baseball uniforms with supplies from home for successful removal. For the easiest removal, tackle red clay dirt stains as soon as possible so they don't have time to set in.
Chemical solvents and supplies
- Clean towel
- Liquid hand dishwashing soap
- Dishwasher detergent
- Old toothbrush
- Powdered laundry detergent
- Lay a clean towel on a flat work surface so you don't transfer the red clay dirt stains from the baseball uniform to your work surface.
- Dampen the location of the red clay dirt stain on your baseball uniform. Squirt liquid dishwashing detergent onto the stain to cover it. Rub the detergent into the red clay dirt stain and allow it to sit overnight.
- An old toothbrush acts as a small scrub brush for stain removal.
- Launder your baseball uniform according to directions. If the red clay dirt stain is still present or partially present after washing, tackle it with a paste of equal parts dishwasher detergent and water. Scrub the dishwasher detergent paste into the red clay dirt stain using an old toothbrush.
- Allow the dishwasher detergent paste to remain on the stain on your baseball uniform for two to three hours. Launder your uniform again in the washing machine.
- Make a paste with powdered laundry detergent and ammonia to tackle really stubborn red clay dirt stains. Allow the paste to sit for 10 minutes, and then launder as usual.
Note: Avoid placing your baseball uniform into the dryer until you're certain the red clay dirt stain is removed. The heat from the dryer will set the stain.