Extension offers Leadership Academy for County Officials
On October 16, 2015, 14 county officials from 11 counties across Illinois completed the Leadership Academy for County Officials. The academy was developed by the University of Illinois in partnership with the United Counties Council of Illinois (UCCI) to provide leadership training on issues important to elected and appointed county officials.
The 2015 cohort addressed critical issues county officials face in their daily work, including:
- managing budgets in an environment of scarce resources and uncertainty
- leadership roles and responsibilities
- deliberative democracy
- planning for economic development
- crisis communications
- time management
- data for decision-makers
- use of technology in government
Participants focused on learning concepts, developing their skills, and applying those approaches in their home counties.
Participants report, “The information I've obtained from the Academy has enlightened not only me but my arsenal of political strategies in achieving greater advocacy on behalf of my constituents,” and, “The information I have learned and gained in the Leadership Academy is being used every time I participate in a meeting or presentation, whether it is the county board or school/church meeting, trying to be open-minded, listening with understanding before responding or assuming to know what was/is intended by the public/constituents."
U of I Extension's Community and Economic Development team offers programs, webinars, and online resources for local government officials, community leaders, planners, developers, and citizens. Learn more on CED website.
- Extension’s Tony Franklin awarded 2017 Larine Y. Cowan Make a Difference Award on Leadership in Diversity
- Piece by piece, 4-H members stitch together hope for children battling cancer
- STARTUP Jefferson County provides entrepreneurs and small business owners the tools to succeed
- In the face of disaster, Extension Disaster Education Network provides enduring support
- Peoria “stormwater farm” demonstrates power of connecting design thinking with improved public health outcomes
- Incoming freshmen: Apply now for the Extension to ACES Scholarship!
- As the Refuge Food Forest bears fruit, a community's fascination blossoms
- Think globally, act locally: Woodchip bioreactors help farmers reduce nutrient runoff
- BRANDT 4-H race car wins Xfinity maiden race
- Champaign-Urbana collects 13,000 pounds of unwanted medicine
- Data-Driven Dairy
- Illinois biennial report recognizes positive, voluntary steps to reduce nutrient loss
- Persistence pays off: Orr Center celebrates 40 years of progress, partnership
- Gardening with your senses
- Google donates $1.5 million and virtual reality technology to support 4-H youth science programs
- Extension wins award at Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior 2017 annual conference
- 4-H has your seat to the eclipse
- 4-H Bridge Bust Participants Earn More than Awards
- Macon County Master Naturalist Gives Back
- U of I Students Share Ideas to Improve Peoria’s Southside Neighborhood
- Two University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener Pollinator Projects Receive Grants
- Healthy Carnival Planned by Teens to Promote Nutrition and Activity
- Illinois Master Gardener program celebrates 40th anniversary
- Illinois State Board of Education Awards $4.5 million to U of I Extension for school food-service training
- Rockford third graders 'Farming in the Class'
- Extension experts talk turkey
- 4-H Teens as Teachers have positive impact
- Pond management workshop promotes stewardship, sound practices
- An edible forest takes root in Normal