Extension wins award at Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior 2017 annual conference
August 2, 2017
By Beth Peralta
University of Illinois Extension’s Illinois Junior Chefs program received the Nutrition Education Program Impact Award at the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior’s annual conference on July 21, in Washington D.C.
The Nutrition Education Program Impact Award is given to a nutrition education program, practice or intervention that has resulted in documented changes in behavior. Illinois Junior Chefs is a statewide, hands-on culinary and nutrition education program implemented by University of Illinois Extension’s Illinois Nutrition Education Programs and Illinois 4-H.
Each lesson focuses on a particular food group and is paired with a recipe that features new cooking skills. At the end of every lesson, participants get to taste the food they have prepared. For example, during the lesson about vegetables, students learn about the importance of vegetables, how to use a grater and peeler, and make recipes like colorful coleslaw and veggie quesadillas.
As a result of participating in Illinois Junior Chefs, Illinois children are improving their fruit and vegetable preferences and attitudes towards cooking. They feel more confident cooking in the kitchen and with choosing and eating healthier food choices. University of Illinois Extension is proud to continue to offer Illinois Junior Chefs to children in communities around Illinois.
Jessica Jarick Metcalfe, research coordinator for Illinois Junior Chefs said, “The improvements we see in cooking attitudes and skills as a result of the program allow the children to make changes to the way that they eat and cook at home.”
Success stories have been rolling in for this very popular program. One student shared, “After Illinois Junior Chefs, I help my mom go shopping for groceries. One night each week, I cook dinner for my family using recipes that I learned in class. I also remind them about food safety with using knives and washing fruits and vegetables. I am so excited to learn new recipes this year too!”
- Juntos “Together” 4-H Program Inspires Latino Teens to Pursue their Education Dreams
- Bipartisan coalition secures release of $10 million to University of Illinois Extension
- Million-meal milestone ensures families have food to eat
- Farmland donated to benefit Clinton County Extension
- As Spring Nears, ‘Tis the Season for Horticulture Education
- When trauma touches the classroom: U of I Extension workshops train teachers to offer hope
- Looking for anaplasmosis in beef cattle
- Illinois organizations partner with Extension to combat malnutrition in seniors
- Extension’s Tony Franklin awarded 2017 Larine Y. Cowan Make a Difference Award on Leadership in Diversity
- Piece by piece, 4-H members stitch together hope for children battling cancer
- STARTUP Jefferson County provides entrepreneurs and small business owners the tools to succeed
- In the face of disaster, Extension Disaster Education Network provides enduring support
- Peoria “stormwater farm” demonstrates power of connecting design thinking with improved public health outcomes
- Incoming freshmen: Apply now for the Extension to ACES Scholarship!
- As the Refuge Food Forest bears fruit, a community's fascination blossoms
- Think globally, act locally: Woodchip bioreactors help farmers reduce nutrient runoff
- BRANDT 4-H race car wins Xfinity maiden race
- Champaign-Urbana collects 13,000 pounds of unwanted medicine
- Data-Driven Dairy
- Illinois biennial report recognizes positive, voluntary steps to reduce nutrient loss
- Persistence pays off: Orr Center celebrates 40 years of progress, partnership
- Gardening with your senses
- Google donates $1.5 million and virtual reality technology to support 4-H youth science programs
- 4-H has your seat to the eclipse
- 4-H Bridge Bust Participants Earn More than Awards
- Macon County Master Naturalist Gives Back
- U of I Students Share Ideas to Improve Peoria’s Southside Neighborhood
- Two University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener Pollinator Projects Receive Grants
- Healthy Carnival Planned by Teens to Promote Nutrition and Activity
- Illinois Master Gardener program celebrates 40th anniversary
- Illinois State Board of Education Awards $4.5 million to U of I Extension for school food-service training
- Rockford third graders 'Farming in the Class'
- Extension experts talk turkey
- 4-H Teens as Teachers have positive impact
- Pond management workshop promotes stewardship, sound practices
- An edible forest takes root in Normal