4-H After School Programs
Illinois 4-H Youth Development staff is partnering with schools and other community based organizations to improve the quality and quantity of afterschool programs. Keeping young people safe, helping working families and inspiring learning are all part of 4-H Afterschool activities. 4-H helps to support youth, parents and community during critical hours when school is over. 4-H Afterschool works with urban, suburban, and rural communities to identify their areas of need and interest and then build customized programs to meet those needs.
4-H Afterschool provides benefits for:
- Youth – can participate in fun, exciting programs while developing valuable skills with lifelong benefits.
- Parents & family members – know youth are involved in safe, healthy, and enriching environments that contribute to social, emotional, physical, and academic success.
- Volunteers – have an opportunity to share knowledge and/or skills with young people.
- Youth-serving organizations – have access to extensive 4-H Afterschool resources designed to train staff, implement sound youth development practices, create new after-school programs, and strengthen existing programs.
- Communities – can develop unique partnerships that build a quality after-school network to support the diverse interests and needs of youth.
- Afterschool program staff and volunteers improve their ability to offer high quality care, education, and developmental experiences for youth.
- Teens, adult volunteers and Afterschool staff use and/or adapt 4-H curriculum and share 4-H project skills with youth involved in 4-H Afterschool programs.
- Youth, who participate in Afterschool activities based on 4-H project curriculum, improve communication, decision-making, teamwork and other life skills.
- Active and self-sustaining 4-H Afterschool Clubs improves the quality and community support for after-school programs.