University of Illinois Extension
Getting Through Tough Financial Times
Spend Smart, Save Smart Tips
Ten Tips for Low-cost Gifts
- Have a white elephant gift exchange – someone will treasure the item you don’t want.
- Draw names so you will only need to buy one gift.
- Give a special treasure you have to someone to cherish then pass on to someone else.
- Take pictures and create a photo album of special times.
- Make gifts – a gift certificate sharing your time or your talents is always appreciated.
- Give a little girl a dress-up box of your old clothes, jewelry and hats.
- Encourage a budding artist with a decorated box of art supplies or supplies to make puppets and masks.
- Fashion beautifully wrapped gifts out of recycled newspapers, Sunday comics or brown paper bags.
- Sew special one-of-a-kind fabric gift bags.
- Bake special treats and include the recipe. Cookies, quick breads, cakes, and pies make wonderful gifts.