University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Main Office (Rock Island County)
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Branch Office (Henry-Stark County)
26234 Black Hawk Road
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8am to 4:30pm (Closed from 12 - 1 pm)
Branch Office (Mercer County)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday & Thursday 8am to 4:30pm (Closed from 12 - 1 pm)
Tuesday June 19, 2012 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
University of Illinois Extension Council Meeting -Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties
June 19, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. – Woodhull Town Hall, Woodhull, IL
The meeting of the University of Illinois Extension Unit 7 Council – Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties – was held at the Woodhull Town Hall, Woodhull, IL and was called to order by Gary Goodwin.
Present: Jake Anderson, Barb Chiles, Terri Davies, Gary Goodwin, David Harris, Sherry Holmstrom , Jim King,
Cheryl Salley, Kim Sheese, Alice Webster, and Gary Smith.
Excused: Adrian Blackwell, Stan Boruff, Annette Ernst, and Bob Mueller
Others Present: Tony Franklin, Jenny Garner, Martha Smith, Tim Wells, Diane Baker, Cheryl Geitner,
and Dr. Bob Hoeft
Public comments: N/A
· Approval of March 20, 2012 meeting minutes from Unit 7 were moved to be accepted as is by Jake Anderson; seconded by Alice Webster. Motion approved.
· Fiscal reports were reviewed. With an ending balance of $645,075 as of May 31, 2012.
· Concurrence to accept the FY13 Budget proposal was moved to be accepted by Jake Anderson and seconded by Jim King. Motion approved.
· Jim King reported that the Open House at BHC went very well.
· Jake Anderson reported that Cheryl Geitner's Welcome to the Real World program in their area was very well received.
· David Harris reported that the programs and robotics projects conducted at BHE were very good and well done. He suggested looking at addressing the urban and metro youth with this program.
· Barb Chiles reported that there are 172 kids in the FFA program with many of those kids participating in 4-H as well. Two of those students recently received the FFA's American Farmer Award.
· See attached Staff Reports.
Other Reports and Announcements:
· Dr. Bob Hoeft was our guest at the Unit 7 meeting. He is touring all the Units and reported he was very pleased with what he saw going on in Unit 7. He said he wished he could have legislators traveling with him to see all of the great projects that are happening in the area. He also said that Extension is the best kept secret in the state and they are working on P.R. to make themselves better known and let people know what Extension can do for them and what it has done for others.
· Dr. Hoeft also spoke about some of his findings –
o "Food deserts" in the state where people do not have close access to grocery stores.
o He is making sure Extension staff have access to the best technology.
o He is working on taking Extension across campus so that all colleges within the college know what Extension is doing.
o They are working with mineral rights in southern Illinois – Extension is not giving legal advice.
o Council members' comments included supporting the idea of more marketing to spread the word regarding Extension. Also that the Extension staff is very knowledgeable and Dr. Hoeft said that there were some minor problems with the offices, but those have been worked out.
· Update on Council Recruitment – Tony Franklin is working on recruitment. We have 15 members currently; we can have up to 20.
· There was a motion by Jake Anderson and seconded by David Harris to move the 2013 June meeting to the third Tuesday in May.
· Full meeting schedule announced September 18, 2012 at Black Hawk East Conference Center, Galva, IL; January 15, 2013 at Rock Island Extension office, Milan, IL; March 19, 2013 at Mercer County Extension office, Aledo, IL; May 21, 2013 location to be announced.
· Recognition of retiring board members Gary Goodwin, Sherry Holmstrom, David Harris, Cheryl Salley, and Kim Sheese. They were presented with a Certificate of Service.
· Motion to adjourn by Jim King; seconded by Alice Webster.