Signup to receive email updates
- October 2018 (1)
- September 2018 (2)
- August 2018 (1)
- July 2018 (1)
- June 2018 (1)
- March 2018 (2)
- February 2018 (1)
- January 2018 (1)
- December 2017 (2)
- November 2017 (1)
- October 2017 (1)
- September 2017 (2)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (2)
- June 2017 (2)
- May 2017 (2)
- April 2017 (4)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (2)
- January 2017 (2)
- December 2016 (3)
- November 2016 (1)
- October 2016 (3)
- January 2007 (2)
41 Total Posts
follow our RSS feed
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
1 tablespoon butter
4 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch slices 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup
Melt butter in large skillet.
Add apples and cinnamon. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until apples are tender.
Stir in syrup and heat through before serving.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 80 ~ fat 2 g ~ calories from fat 18 ~ sodium 15 mg ~ total carbohydrate 17 g ~ fiber 1 g
Presented at Kirby's Kitchen (Piatt Co) for UI Extension, 2014
1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 (28-ounce) jar of spaghetti sauce 1-1/2 cups water
8-ounce spaghetti pasta, broken in half, uncooked 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. In a 12-inch skillet, cook meat until brown. Drain fat and return meat to pan.
2. Add spaghetti sauce and water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
2. Add spaghetti and stir into sauce.
3. Reduce heat and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring
frequently. (Add more water if the mixture appears too dry.)
4. Serve with cheese.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 280 ~ fat 6 g ~ calories from fat 50 ~ sodium 620 mg ~ total carbohydrate 45 g
~ fiber 4 g
BAKED PESTO CHICKEN
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast 1/2 cup prepared pesto
1 large tomato, sliced
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
2. Cut each chicken breast in half. Place in a bowl and toss with pesto. Place chicken into baking dish and cover with foil.
3. Bake 20-25 minutes or until chicken reaches a minimum temperature of 165°F.
4. Remove foil. Top chicken evenly with tomato slices and
cheese. Bake uncovered 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 320 ~ fat 16 g ~ calories from fat 144 ~ sodium 500 mg ~ total carbohydrate 5 g ~ fiber 1 g
Presented at Kirby's Kitchen (Piatt Co) for UI Extension, 2015
CHICKEN TORTILLA PIE
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast 1/4 cup Fresh Salsa (or bottled)
1 cup black bean dip
4 (8inch) multigrain flour tortillas
1/2 cup (2 ounces) reducedfat shredded Monterey Jack cheese Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Combine chicken and salsa in a medium bowl.
3. Spread 1/4 cup black bean dip over each tortilla. Top each evenly with chicken mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese. Stack tortillas in bottom of a 9inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated and cheese melts.
4. Remove sides of pan. Cut pie into 4 wedges. Serve immediately.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 380 ~ fat 11 g ~
calories from fat 99 ~ sodium 660 mg ~ total carbohydrate 29 g ~
fiber 12 g
Adapted from Cooking Light
SAUSAGE AND BARLEY SOUP
6 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
2 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper stir-fry 2 cups water
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/4 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook 3 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat.
2. Place stir-fry and 2 cups water in a blender; process until smooth.
3. Add stir-fry puree, tomatoes, and barley to sausage in pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
4. Stir in spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts.
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving) - Calories 145 ~ fat 4 g ~ calories from fat 36 ~ sodium 493 mg ~ total carbohydrate 18 g ~ fiber 3 g
PEACHY BREAD PUDDING
1/4 cup sugar substitute
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup low-fat baking mix
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1 Tbsp. melted trans fat-free
2/3 cup low-fat milk
2 cups peach slices
1 tsp. cinnamon
Nonstick cooking spray
1.Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
2.Combine sugar substitute, brown sugar, and baking mix.
3.Stir in eggs and extract.
4.Blend in melted margarine and milk.
5.Add peaches and cinnamon.
6.Pour into slow cooker.
7.Cook on Low for 6 hours.
Nutrition Facts: (Amount Per Serving) 180 calories, 4.5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 32g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber.
APPLE BROWN BETTY
4 cups small whole wheat bread cubes
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar (can use sugar substitute)
1 can apple pie filling (lite)
Mix bread cubes with butter, spices and brown sugar. Chop apples into 1 inch pieces. Grease slow cooker crock. Place bread cube mixture on bottom of crock, top with apples. Cover and cook on high 1-1 ½ hours. Or until apples are tender. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.