Edgar County Green Pride Press
In This Issue
- JUNE is 4-H PORK CHOP BBQ Time!!!
- What is the BBQ BASH????
- ARE YOU READY FOR FAIR?
- SAVE THE DATES!
- HEY, 4-H’ers...FAIR REGISTRATION deadline is JULY 1!
- 4-H FAIR QUESTION AND ANSWER OPEN HOUSE!
- SERVING OUR COMMUNITY
- FAIR REGISTRATION INFORMATION
- SAVE THE DATE FOR FALL SHOOTING SPORTS CONTESTS
- Understanding 4-H Premiums
- GOOD LUCK AT NATIONALS, GAVIN!
- 4-H FEDERATION
- For members enrolled in Visual Arts….
- 4-H CLUB CORNER
- 4-H Association News
- Advocate for Livestock as 4-H Ambassador
- LIVESTOCK INFORMATION
- STATE FAIR INFO FOR GENERAL PROJECTS
- KNOW YOUR PROJECT EXHIBIT RULES!!
- Got Rockets???
- Smile for the camera!
- Hey, Cloverbuds!
- A State Fair Delegates meeting
JUNE is 4-H PORK CHOP BBQ Time!!!
The annual 4-H Pork Chop BBQ will be held on Saturday, June 23 from 4 to 7 PM. The BBQ Bash will be held on Thursday, June 21 at 5 PM (until we are done) at the fairgrounds. You should have received BBQ ticket packets from your leader and we hope you are busy selling them! The Extension office is asking for your help with our bookkeeping for tickets sales. Here are a few guidelines to follow:
· ALL unsold tickets and ticket money must be turned in either at the BBQ BASH, the BBQ or in the office at any time prior to the BBQ. DO NOT THROW AWAY UNSOLD TICKETS. Unsold tickets must be turned in to the office.
· You may sell more than one packet of tickets, but you must turn in your $$ from the first packet before you receive a new packet of tickets to sell. You may turn in $$ and get more tickets through the Extension office.
· Leaders...please remember to return to the office the list of who did or did not receive tickets. Also, please return any ticket packets not handed out.
· Sign up to work the BBQ! Leaders have the sign-up sheets for working the BBQ. We especially need help "wrapping up" the BBQ...if you can stay to help that would be appreciated. Please be sure to do your part!
· This year we are offering only one Top Ticket Seller winner who will receive $100 from the 4-H Federation!!! For each packet you sell, your name will be entered into a drawing for FREE FOOD at the 4-H Fair. To be eligible to win, you must turn your tickets in at the BBQ Bash on June 21 (or in the office before the Bash). Get out there and sell those tickets!
IT TAKES ALL OF US WORKING TOGETHER TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL
FUNDRAISER!! THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
Remember: Wear your 4-H t-shirt when you work your shift at the BBQ. BE ON TIME, please!! Many, many thanks to Brad and Sharon Cash for serving as co-chairs for the Pork Chop BBQ!! We appreciate all you do.
What is the BBQ BASH????
4-H'ers AND Parents...come on out to the fairgrounds on June 21 at 5 PM and help us prepare for the BBQ. We will wrap 2,000 potatoes (WOW!) and setup tables & chairs for BBQ day on June 23. The Bash is also the deadline to turn in your BBQ ticket money in order to be eligible to win highest ticket seller and be entered into our drawing for FREE FOOD at the fair.
If you have questions, contact our office at 465-8585.
WE NEED YOUR HELP...See you there!
ARE YOU READY FOR FAIR?
Þ Did you attend at least 3 club meetings (2 for new members and 1 for college members) to be eligible to show at fair?
Þ Have you completed your fair entries on fairentry.com?
Þ Have you checked your project exhibit rules in the county handbook?
Þ Did you turn in your Pen/Stall request form to the office?
Þ Have you done (or are working on) your projects???
Þ SEE YOU AT THE FAIR!!!
SAVE THE DATES!
Edgar County is part of a 3-county unit which includes Crawford, Clark and Edgar Counties. 4-H'ers are welcome to attend events in any county within the unit with permission from the sponsoring county.
June 1 QAEC Deadline for Certification
June 1 Shooting Sports— Air Rifle/.22 Rifle, 6 PM @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club
June 2 Rocket Building Workshop, 9 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 2 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM and 9 AM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 8 Shooting Sports—Shotgun, 6 PM @ EC Sportsman's Club
June 8 IDOT Pollinator Plot project, 8:30 AM @ IDOT on Rt. 133
June 9 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM and 9 AM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 12 Cooking School, 9 AM to 2 PM @ Extension office
June 14 Shooting Sports—Beginner Archery, 6 PM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 15 Shooting Sports—Air Rifle/.22 Rifle, 6 PM @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club
June 16 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM and 9 AM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 19 LEADER'S MEETING, 6 PM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 21 4-H BBQ Bash, 5 PM @ 4-H fairgrounds
June 22 Shooting Sports—Shotgun, 6 PM @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club
June 23 Dog Obedience Class, 8 AM and 9 AM @ 4-H Fairgrounds
June 23 4-H BBQ
June 26 NEW MEMBERS 4-H FAIR QUESTION & ANSWER TIME, 4 to 6 PM @ fairgrounds
June 28 Shooting Sports—Archery Open Range, 6 PM @ 4-H fairgrounds
JULY 1 ONLINE FAIR REGISTRATION CLOSES TODAY @ fairentry.com
July 6 Dog Obedience Class, 6 PM and 7 PM @ 4-H fairgrounds
July 7 Shooting Sports Archery Exhibition, 9 AM @ 4-H fairgrounds
July 12 Shooting Sports Shotgun Fair Exhibition, 5 PM @ Edgar Co. Sportsman's Club
July 14 Shooting Sports Air Rifle/.22 Rifle Fair Exhibition, 9 AM @ Sportsman's Club
July 17 Exhibit Building set up, 9 AM
July 17 Fair Superintendents meeting (General & Livestock), 6 PM @ fairgrounds
July 20-25 Edgar County 4-H Fair
July 22-28 Illinois Jr. Horse Show
August 13 Edgar County day to exhibit general projects @ State Fair
August 9-19 Illinois State Fair
HEY, 4-H’ers...FAIR REGISTRATION deadline is JULY 1!
· We mailed out instructions to each member family several weeks ago. Please be sure to register online NO LATER THAN JULY 1. The 2018 4-H Fair Schedule was included in that mailing.
· Be sure to check the Edgar County 4-H Handbook for all project exhibit rules. It is your responsibility to know what is required to show your project at the fair.
· We are here to help you! Give us a call at the Extension office if you have any questions about your registration forms or any project area.
*Please note: livestock members need to submit pen/stall request forms to the office by June 15.
4-H FAIR QUESTION AND ANSWER OPEN HOUSE!
NEW MEMBERS! Just for you…
4-H FAIR QUESTION AND ANSWER OPEN HOUSE!
Tuesday, JUNE 26 from 4 to 6 PM at the 4-H Fairgrounds
Confused? Need help navigating your first 4-H Fair? We can help!
For all 1st year members and parents (2nd and 3rd year members are welcome, too!) who would like more information to prepare for the 2018 4-H Fair. Come anytime between 4 and 6 PM and bring your questions so that we can help you! There is a lot to 4-H and this informal time will help you better understand how the fair and judging process work. Can't make it and have questions? Contact Cheryl Funkhouser in the Extension office at 465-8585 for help.
SERVING OUR COMMUNITY
On Friday, June 8 4-H'ers, staff and family members helped the Illinois Department of Transportation plant a pollinator plot on IDOT property along Rt. 133 in Paris. The project was lead by Bart Sherer, Environmental Coordinator for IDOT Region 3/District 5 (and former 4-H Dad!). Our group of hard workers planted 656 gallon sized container plants for the project!! The plot will take about 3 years to mature. Thanks to the following for pledging your hands for larger service to your community! That's 4-H! Bryce Kohlmeyer, Meggan, Brenden and Ali Cash; Shaun, Luke, Anna, Ruth, William and Abel Sullivan, Carole Halloran, Halley and Jeremy Frailey, Ian Theirl, Mellie McCollough, Terry Bergdolt, Nancy and Tucker Marrs, Jessie Crews and Cheryl Funkhouser.
FAIR REGISTRATION INFORMATION
It's time to make your fair entries. It's easy?.follow these steps.
1. Go to the Edgar County Fair Entry website at: https://www.fairentry.com/Fair/Signin/1824 or go to www.fairentry.com choose find your fair and choose Illinois. Scroll down to Edgar County Fair and choose.
2. CLICK ON Sign in with 4-H Online. You will be asked to use your 4-H Online username (email) and password. You will see a list of your family members eligible to exhibit at this year's fair.
3. You will be asked to answer a questions concerning meeting attendance for fair exhibit requirements. You must answer this question before moving on to the next step.
4. CLICK ON "Continue to Entries".
5. CLICK ON "Add an Entry" to add fair entries.
6. SELECT the appropriate Department (General Projects or Individual Livestock).
7. SELECT the desired Division from the list.
8. After selecting the Department and Division, CONFIRM by selecting the CHOOSE option.
9. SELECT the desired class or classes. Some class selections may have additional options to select (like a breed sub-class). CLICK CONTINUE.
10. SELECT the Club for this exhibit. Either click "Select this Club" next to the suggested club or choose another club from the list. Hit CONTINUE.
11. Next you may choose to "Add Another Entry" or "Register Another Exhibitor". If you choose "Add Another Entry" you will need to click on "change" next to the last division you entered to go back to the list of project areas. If you choose "Register Another Exhibitor" you will need to select another member from your family and add entries. If all entries are complete for your family member(s) choose "Continue to Payment". NOTE: We are NOT charging a fee to exhibit at the 4-H Fair.
12. CLICK CONTINUE.
13. CHOOSE SUBMIT ENTRIES. Your entries will be either approved or rejected (if there are problems) by the office.
Here are a few helpful hints:
¨ Please check what project(s) you enrolled in before entering your fair exhibits! You have access at any time to your family profile in 4-H Online. Just enter your username (email) and password to enter your account. You will able to make changes to your family/member information and view your enrolled project areas.
¨ You must only register for the project(s) you enrolled in in the 4-H Online system. For example, if you enrolled in Cooking 101 you must register an entry in Cooking 101. If you choose another option, your entry will be rejected and you will have to re-enter your entry.
¨ For livestock exhibits; for example, if you are showing 2 market lambs, you must make 2 separate entries.
¨ If you have questions, please contact the office for help at 465-8585.
SAVE THE DATE FOR FALL SHOOTING SPORTS CONTESTS
· Youth must be enrolled members at least 14 years old by Jan 1, 2019 to compete and not older than 18 on Sept. 1, 2018.
· Participants must be enrolled members of an active 4-H Shooting Sports club for the 2018-2019 year.
· Youth may only compete in the discipline for which they have received instruction from a certified 4-H volunteer instructor.
· To be selected for the national competition team, youth must not turn 19 before Jan. 1, 2019. Thus, youth in their final year of 4-H who will be 19 before Jan. 1, 2019 may participate in the state contest but are not eligible for the national contest.
¨ Archery State Shoot will be held on Saturday, September 8 at Pekin Archers in Pekin, IL.
¨ Shotgun State Shoot will be held on Saturday, September 15 at Brittany Shooting Park in Bunker Hill, IL
¨ Rifle State Shoot will be held on Saturday, September 29 at Central IL Precision Shooting (CIPS) in Bloomington, IL
If you are a member of our Shooting Sports Club and meet the age requirements and would like to compete in the state meet, please let your instructor know you are interested. Registrations for all State Shoots begin July 15 and close on August 15.
Understanding 4-H Premiums
In the past, the Illinois Department of Ag has provided funds to local Illinois 4-H members in the forms of premiums (cash prizes) for participation in 4-H shows and exhibitions. We currently have no guarantee that those funds will be provided. We treasure each of our 4-H families and know that you make a financial investment in your 4-H project work. We hope you continue to take pride in your 4-H learning and continue to participate fully in the 4-H program. As you are aware, we have no control on the actions of Illinois government.
GOOD LUCK AT NATIONALS, GAVIN!
Shooting Sports member, Gavin Coombe, will compete on the Illinois State Archery Team at Nationals to be held on June 24-29 at Grand Island, Nebraska. Gavin finished 4th at the Illinois State Archery Shoot to earn his spot on the national team. We wish you the best, Gavin!
We had an amazing year in Federation!! We welcomed 7 new members and said goodbye to
graduating seniors, Bryce Kohlmeyer and Isaiah Mood. Thank you, Bryce and Isaiah, for your
leadership and hard work over the last few years. You will be missed!!
Federation will gear up for a new year in September and YOU are welcome to join us. We are
excited about the possibilities of what Federation can be for the 2018-2019 year!
We will be electing officers at our September meeting and planning for the new year. If you will be in 8th grade or older, come and see what you can do with us!
THANKS FOR A GREAT YEAR!
For members enrolled in Visual Arts….
The Bicentennial Art Center has some great art classes for youth during the summer months! Classes are taught by 4-H Alumni, Millie Arp and Ali Brandenburg and 4-H Mom, Carrieann Phegley. There are classes for all kinds of interests including painting, clay, jewelry making, paper and more. Classes are held during the day and a fee is charged for members/non-members. There are over 25 classes available for ages 4 and up!! For a complete listing or more information, contact the Bicentennial Art Center at 217-466-8130 or check out their website at ww.parisartcenter.com.
4-H CLUB CORNER
Club Leaders and Officers.....do you have news to share or an event to promote for your club? Put it in the 4-H CLUB CORNER! This spot is reserved just for YOU and if we need more space….we'll make the corner bigger! Get your news to the Extension office by phone or email before the 20th of each month and we will share your news and information for you.
· LEADER'S MEETING, TUESDAY JUNE 19 AT 6 PM AT THE 4-H FAIRGROUNDS.
· ALL BBQ MONEY/TICKETS MUST BE TURNED IN TO THE OFFICE AT THE BBQ BASH OR SOONER TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY PRIZES/DRAWINGS.
· ONLINE FAIR REGISTRATION CLOSES ON JULY 1.
· Pratt and Lindsey Swine Nominations due July 1.
· My Experience Awards due September 4.
· Club Audits due September 19.
4-H Association News
Are you looking for a place to hold a family reunion,
baby shower or other meeting? The 4-H multi-purpose building at the 4-H Fairgrounds might just be what you are looking for. It offers a complete kitchen, is
handicapped accessible and is climate controlled.
Contact John McMullen at
217-251-1239 for rates and
Advocate for Livestock as 4-H Ambassador
Join a team of 22 young adults who are passionate about Illinois agriculture and livestock. Applications are being accepted for the state 4-H Livestock Ambassador Team.
You must be 16 to 21 years of age (as of 9/1/18)
Terms are two years long, beginning in September. Members can serve two terms if age allows.
You'll be required to attend face to face meetings and online teleconferences, as well as help with several projects around the state each year.
Applications are due June 1 and can be downloaded @ https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/members/leadership. Speak up and be the voice of Illinois 4-H livestock!
REMINDER FOR LIVESTOCK AUCTION PARTICIPANTS FROM THE 4-H ASSOCIATION BOARD….
Exhibitors who wish to retain ownership of an animal following the auction will be required to let the superintendent know of their intention to buy back their animal at the time of weigh-in at the fair. NO EXCEPTION. This buy back intention will be notated on the auction show bill by the livestock exhibitor's name.
REMINDER TO ALL ISF Livestock Exhibitors….
ALL Jr. Livestock Exhibitors to the 2018 ISF MUST have their entries signed by County Extension offices before exhibitors place them in the mail to the State Fair Entry office. Entries must be postmarked by JULY 1, Horse by JUNE 1, and Dog by AUGUST 1. A separate check will need to be made for Jr. show and Open show entries. ALL 4-H members, ages 8-18, are eligible to show at the state fair. The website for entry forms is http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/premium/.
STATE FAIR INFO FOR GENERAL PROJECTS
STATE FAIR INFORMATION
Edgar County 4-H'ers will exhibit their general projects at the Illinois State Fair on Monday, August 13. To exhibit at state fair, you must be chosen as a State Fair delegate at our county fair. ALL 4-H members ages 8 to 18 are eligible to exhibit at the state fair.
KNOW YOUR PROJECT EXHIBIT RULES!!
Be sure to carefully look over the Edgar County 4-H Handbook for all rules and specific requirements for each project exhibit. Don't be disappointed at fair time because your project does not meet the exhibit requirements (and possibly miss out on a champion award OR state fair delegate selection!) Still have questions after reading your handbook? Give us a call. We want you to be successful at this year's 4-H Fair!
Brad Cash does! Brad is our Aerospace Superintendent. If you need to purchase a rocket kit for your Aerospace project, contact Brad at 465-5382. He has a terrific selection of rocket kits in stock and ready to sell. All proceeds go back into the Edgar Co. 4-H Aerospace program to help maintain our rocket launch equipment. Don't see what you want? Brad can special order rockets for you.
Smile for the camera!
General Project award winners will have a time set apart for all to have their photo taken with their award and project. This will be held on Tuesday, July 24 at 2:00 (following the state fair delegates meeting). We will take the photos inside the exhibit hall or outside (weather permitting).
You can bring one project to the 4-H Fair for CLOVERBUD SHOW AND TELL on SATURDAY, JULY 21 at 11 AM in the multi-purpose building at the 4-H Fairgrounds. You must be an approved (active in 4-H Online) member to participate.
Not sure what to do? No problem! Help is on the way. Check your mailbox soon for your Cloverbud Fair Information letter that will outline and explain how you can be prepared for your Cloverbud project exhibit. Questions?? Contact Cheryl in the Extension office at 465-8585.
A State Fair Delegates meeting
A State Fair Delegates meeting will be held on TUESDAY, JULY 24 at 1:30 PM in the Exhibit building. If you have been chosen to go to State Fair, this meeting is for YOU. Information packets will be handed out and questions answered. Each exhibitor will be given 1 admission pass. Additional passes and parking tickets will be available at the meeting on a first served basis.