- June 2015 (3)
- May 2015 (5)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (7)
- February 2015 (6)
- January 2015 (6)
- December 2014 (4)
- November 2014 (4)
- October 2014 (7)
- September 2014 (6)
- August 2014 (7)
- July 2014 (7)
- June 2014 (7)
- May 2014 (6)
- April 2014 (2)
- March 2014 (2)
82 Total Posts
follow our RSS feed
Thursday, August 7, 2014
It's state fair season! If you can't make it out to the fairgrounds and need a funnel cake fix, you can have it any time of year with this healthier alternative. (Scroll to the bottom of the post for a printable PDF version of the recipe!)
Basic Funnel Cake Ingredients:
- Toppings: Powdered sugar, whipped cream, fruit, chocolate sauce, etc.
- Deep-fried in oil!
- Added cinnamon and vanilla extract to dough
- Toppings: Powdered sugar, whipped cream, fruit, chocolate sauce, etc.: Use in moderation!
- Deep-fried in oil! Baked in hot oven to eliminate excess fat and calories from oil absorption
Nutrition Facts Face-Off!
Baked Funnel Cakes (Printable PDF Version)
Makes about eight 4"-diameter funnel cakes
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- Optional toppings: Powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce*
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and coat 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Combine water, butter, salt, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large saucepan. With a wooden spoon, stir until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to medium and add flour.
- Stir vigorously until the ingredients form a ball, then remove from heat. Set aside and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cool, transfer dough ball to a large bowl add in one egg at a time. Beat with a wooden spoon until each egg is incorporated.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag or gallon-size freezer bag, then cut off the tip from the corner.
- Squeezing pastry bag, make four 4-" diameter circles on each baking sheet.
- Make a criss-cross pattern within each circle, making sure all parts connect.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until dark golden. Place on cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar.
- Add toppings and enjoy immediately.
*Note: Adding toppings will change the nutrition facts (e.g., adding toppings like large amounts of sugar, chocolate sauce, or whipped cream will increase the calorie count).