University of Illinois Extension serving Christian, Jersey, Macoupin and Montgomery Counties
#1 Industrial Park Dr.
Hillsboro, IL 62049
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 4:30 pm
1120 N Webster St.
Taylorville, IL 62568
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 11:30 am; 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
201 W. Exchange St.
Jerseyville, IL 62052
Hours: Tuesday & Wednesday 8 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 4 pm and Thursday 8 am to 12 pm
#60 Carlinville Plaza
Carlinville, IL 62626
Hours: Monday - Thursday 8 am to 12 pm; 1 pm to 4:30 pm
University of Illinois Extension offers Hands-On Holiday Meal Planning Workshop
October 23, 2017
Feeling overwhelmed with the holidays approaching? Join University of Illinois Extension for a festive Fall evening focusing on preparing for the holidays! “Let’s Talk Turkey: Meal Planning for the Holidays” will go through shopping for different types of turkeys, including all five food groups in your meal, how big of bird you need to feed family and friends, catering to guests health needs, meal timing, and re-purposing leftovers. The workshop will also provide holiday tips to help maintain and not gain weight during the holiday season.
This program is a hands-on workshop where participants will prepare seasonal side dishes, an appetizer, and dessert. The workshop will take place at the following locations:
· Christian County Extension Office, 6:30pm-8:00pm----Monday, Nov. 13th -- Register by November 11th
· Macoupin County Extension Office, 6:30-8:00pm---Tuesday, Nov. 14th -- Register by November 12th
· Montgomery County Extension Office, 10:30am-12:00pm—Saturday, November 11th -- Register by November 9th
Participants will also receive recipe books, enjoy taste testing, and enter to win a fun “Gifts from the Kitchen” holiday gift basket.
Come join in for a fun-filled night of learning and preparing for the holidays. Register online at web.extension.illinois.edu/cjmm or by calling the Christian County Extension office at 217-287-7246. There is a small registration fee to offset the cost of food supplies.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Sautéed with Sweet Onions
2 pounds Brussel sprouts
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large sweet white onion, chopped
1 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Check Brussels sprouts, and remove any yellow or spotted outer leaves. Cut each across equator into about 1/8-inch slices. Use a sharp knife or the slicing disk attachment of a food processor. Use your finger to separate rounds into shreds. Set aside. Chop onion. Set aside.
2. Heat a heavy 12-inch sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to hot pan, and then add onions. Sauté onions until limp but not brown 1-2 minutes. Add a handful of the shredded Brussels sprouts. Sauté, tossing to coat with oil. Add another handful and continue until all have been added. Sauté until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes total cooking time. Color should remain bright green. Do not overcook.
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well. Taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Cover until ready to serve. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 10 servings per recipe; ½ cup serving size; 70 calories (30 calories from fat) 3g total fat; 0mg cholesterol; 260mg sodium; 11g carbohydrate; 4g dietary fiber; 3g protein
Recipe from University of Illinois Extension: Turkey for the Holidays Extension.illinois.edu/turkey
University of Illinois Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. If you need reasonable accommodation to participate in this program, please call 217.854.9604.
Local Contact: Lisa Peterson, Extension Educator, Nutrition and Wellness, firstname.lastname@example.org