University of Illinois Extension serving Carroll, Lee and Whiteside Counties
12923 Lawrence Road
Sterling, IL 61081
807D S Clay St
Mt. Carroll, IL 61053
280 W Wasson Rd
Amboy, IL 61310
Volunteering with University of Illinois Extension
At University of Illinois Extension, our volunteers are essential to the success of our programs. Volunteers are the backbone of the 4-H and Master Gardener programs. Our Extension Council members are all volunteers.
Volunteer opportunities in our unit include:
- 4-H and Youth Program: 4-H is a voluntary, informal education program for boys and girls ages 8 – 18.
- 4-H Cloverbud Leader: Youth ages 5 – 7 years old are involved in the 4-H Cloverbud program. If you would like to start a new Cloverbud group and volunteer as a leader, please contact us for more information.
- 4-H Fair Volunteers Needed: Volunteers work together every year to showcase the 4-H program at the county fairs.
- 4-H Organizational Leader: Would you like to work with youth ages 8 – 18 years old? Start a 4-H Club. The 4-H Organizational Leader provides leadership to the young people who are members of the club, and serves as the primary contact for the club.
- 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor or Assistant Instructor: There are clubs for shotgun, air rifle and archery throughout the four counties. Adults are trained at the state level to be instructors and at the county level to be assistant instructors. Trainings are held in the spring and fall.
- 4-H Project Volunteer: Do you have a talent that you would be willing to share and teach to youth? There are opportunities to share talents, hobbies, and skills in on going workshop sessions called special interest clubs, one time workshops or special events at the fairs.
- Master Gardener and Master Naturalists: University of Illinois Extension trains and supports adults to volunteer as University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists. Call any of our offices to get on the list of interested applicants for our next classes.
All volunteers working with youth are screened prior to undertaking assignments. All volunteers are required to complete child protection training.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with University of Illinois Extension, please call one of our local offices:
- Carroll, 815-244-9444
- Lee, 815-857-3525
- Whiteside, 815-632-3611