Signup to receive email updates
- Ask A Chicago Master Gardener
- Chicago Gardener Blog
- Cook County Urban Horticulture
- Hort Corner
- Illinois Master Gardeners
- Illinois Master Gardener Manual Preview
- Illinois Master Gardener Training Schedules
- Imagine Newsletters
- Junior Master Gardener Program
- Chicago Master Gardener Application
- Master Gardener Resources
- Urban Programs Resource Network
- February 2011 (1)
- October 2010 (2)
- February 2010 (2)
- January 2010 (4)
- July 2009 (2)
- April 2009 (2)
- March 2009 (2)
- February 2009 (2)
- January 2009 (10)
- December 2008 (10)
- November 2008 (25)
- October 2008 (6)
- September 2008 (17)
- August 2008 (3)
- July 2008 (8)
- June 2008 (16)
- May 2008 (8)
- April 2008 (5)
- March 2008 (22)
- February 2008 (19)
- January 2008 (14)
- December 2007 (5)
- November 2007 (12)
- October 2007 (10)
- September 2007 (20)
- August 2007 (22)
- July 2007 (27)
- June 2007 (16)
- May 2007 (26)
- April 2007 (24)
- March 2007 (29)
- February 2007 (50)
- January 2007 (27)
- December 2006 (4)
- November 2006 (1)
- October 2006 (4)
- September 2006 (5)
- August 2006 (8)
- July 2006 (13)
- June 2006 (35)
- May 2006 (16)
- April 2006 (11)
- January 2006 (4)
- December 2005 (7)
- November 2005 (8)
- October 2005 (5)
569 Total Posts
follow our RSS feed
Wednesday, January 31, 2007
University of Illinois Extension
Academic Hourly (part time)
Cook County Extension Position Description
Title: Horticulture Assistant:
Purpose and Scope of Position
The Horticulture Assistant will work as a team member with other Cook County personnel. This person will implement assigned educational programs that are designed to foster the acquisition of knowledge and the development of individuals and communities in Urban Horticulture. Horticulture Assistants secure and coordinate the efforts of volunteers, facilitate planning and marketing efforts, and network and/or collaborate with community organizations and groups to address their educational needs.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS (Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking System) check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list will be conducted.
Administrative & Organizational Relationship
The Horticulture Assistant is administratively responsible to the Cook County Director and/or Associate County Director with program guidance, leadership and supervision from the Urban Horticulture Educator. This position is a part time hourly position and is contingent upon the availability of funds appropriated annually. The work will be done in a 25- 30 hour workweek and a maximum of 7.5 hour da
- Comply with all University of Illinois Extension Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines.
- Prepare and maintain necessary records and reports
- Schedule and attend Master Gardener classes and meetings.
- Submit weekly itinerary of planned work activities.
- Schedule and coordinate Master Gardener office coverage for response to public.
- Assist in marketing the Master Gardener program and recruitment of Master Gardeners.
1. Comply with all University of Illinois Extension and Cook County policies and procedures in programs, outreach and employment.
2. Work with Extension Urban Horticulture Educator in implementation and reporting of program evaluations for Master Gardener and Interns activities such as Master Gardener Information Desk, Speaker's Bureau, Urban youth gardening projects, and other community based volunteer programs.
3. Work with Extension Urban Horticulture Educator to maintain a database of all Master Gardener projects, collect and report all data and contact reports in the regional web-based Master Gardener reporting site.
4. Coordinate the development of the monthly Master Gardener Newsletter, Hort Happenings Newsletter.
5. Coordinate development of resources for the Speaker's Bureau program, confirmations, record keeping, promotion and publicity.
6. Assist in the scheduling of Master Volunteer's monthly meetings, continuing education opportunities, field trips and special events.
7. Assist in the coordination of Master Gardener project confirmations, program logistics and activities for specific program related tasks, such as travel, equipment, facilities use and other supplies.
8. Work with Extension Urban Horticulture Educator to respond to all consumer and volunteer requests for assistance in a timely manner and make concerted efforts to have University of Illinois Extension programs reach diverse audiences.
9. Assist in the dissemination of program efforts and horticulture information to the general public, targeted and underserved audiences and local politicians.
10. Networks and collaborates with community organizations to enhance the urban horticulture program.
11. Adhere to the University's and local unit's use of leave time (both vacation and sick).
12. Perform other duties that contribute to Extension programming as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Credentials verified by placement office
- Experience and/or training in Urban Horticulture or related field.
- High school diploma (College degree is optional) Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- Skill in dealing with people from varied ethnic/social/economic backgrounds.
- Ability to organize and manage time.
- Ability to compile, organize and maintain complex files, records and/or reports.
- Knowledge and use of basic computer technology.
- Ability to learn marketing and promotion techniques for program activities.
- A personal automobile available for work.
- Evidence of a valid driver's license and a minimum of automobile liability insurance.
- Two years of experience in work related to the job to be performed.
- Experience and/or training in Horticulture or related field.
- Familiarity with the community, the unit and Master Gardener program activities.
- Skill in collaborating and working with diverse audiences.
- An understanding of the history, objectives, organization, scope and methods of University of Illinois Extension.
- Ability to work flexible day, evening and weekend hours.
- Personal transportation ( candidates must be in compliance with state laws regarding automobile insurance)
8. Knowledge and use of computer technology (Computer literacy).
Third District Circuit Court Building
2121 West Euclid Avenue-Room251
Rolling Meadows, Illinois 60008 Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
Cook County/North Suburban Unit
1699 Wall Street, Suite 500
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
Letter of Interest relating to the position available
Three (3) current letters of reference (preferably sent directly by those providing the reference and should have full contact addresses).
High School Diploma and (any other diplomas or certificates you might possess).
Send Application materials to: Deadline for application is February 10th, 2007
Cook County/North Suburban Unit
Lake Park Corporate Center
1699 Wall Street, Suite 500
Mount Prospect, Illinois 60056
University of Illinois Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment.