Signup to receive email updates
follow our RSS feed
Thursday, April 24, 2014
1. 4 inch soil temp 47.5 degrees…super chilly!
2. Growing Degree Days (GDD):2014 = 68.0 GDD
3. Consider planting an extra row of vegetables to donate to a local food pantry or shelter. Our Knox County Master Gardeners maintain a community garden on Carl Sandburg campus, with all produce going to a local food pantry. Check out their Facebook page.
4. When air temperature remains above 50 °F, plant broccoli, cauliflower and cabbages.
5. If you have strawberries, remove mulch now. The rule of thumb is to remove mulch on strawberries when the ground temp exceeds 44 degrees.