University of Illinois Extension serving Henderson, Knox, McDonough and Warren Counties
180 S Soangetaha Rd, Ste 108
Galesburg, IL 61401
Hours: Hours: Monday - Friday 8a.m. to 4:30p.m. (Closed noon - 1 pm)
PO Box 540
Stronghurst, IL 61480
Hours: Monday and Tuesday 8a.m. - 2p.m. and Thursday 8a.m. - 4:30p.m.
3022 W Jackson
Macomb, IL 61455
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm (Closed noon - 1 pm)
1000 North Main Street
PO Box 227
Monmouth, IL 61462
Hours: Monday through Friday 8 am to 4:30pm (Closed noon to 1 pm)
Volunteering with University of Illinois Extension
Volunteer: Make the Difference!
Through local partnerships and connections to the vast resources of the University of Illinois, University of Illinois Extension is able to help serve our neighbors and communities. Extension education programs are offered in four broad areas: 4-H Youth Development; Nutrition, Family and Consumer Sciences; Community and Economic Development; and Agriculture, Horticulture and Natural Resources.
Volunteers are the backbone of the 4-H, Master Naturalist, and Master Gardener programs. Our Extension Council members and Foundation board members are also volunteers. Our volunteers are essential to the success of each of our programs.
Volunteer opportunities in our unit include:
- 4-H and Youth Program: 4-H is a voluntary, informal education program for boys and girls ages 8 – 18.
- 4-H Cloverbud Leader: Youth ages 5 – 7 years old are involved in the 4-H Cloverbud program. If you would like to start a new Cloverbud group and volunteer as a leader, please contact us for more information.
- 4-H Fair Volunteers Needed: Volunteers work together every year to showcase the 4-H program at the county fairs.
- 4-H Organizational Leader: Would you like to work with youth ages 8 – 18 years old? Start a 4-H Club. The 4-H Organizational Leader provides leadership to the young people who are members of the club and serves as the primary contact for the club.
- 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor or Assistant Instructor: There are clubs for shotgun, air rifle and archery throughout the four counties. Adults are trained at the state level to be instructors and at the county level to be assistant instructors. Trainings are held in the spring and fall.
- 4-H Project Volunteer: Do you have a talent that you would be willing to share and teach to youth? There are opportunities to share talents, hobbies, and skills in ongoing workshop sessions called special interest clubs, one time workshops or special events at the fairs.
- Teen Teachers: Join us on an adventure where you will be teaching
youth how to be more physically fit and healthy! Lead fun, hands‐on
activities while getting a great experience! Training is REQUIRED
before summer teaching starts, so be sure to sign up early.
- Master Gardeners: Master Gardeners are a group of volunteers trained by University of Illinois Extension educators to provide a network of gardening programs and horticultural activities to educate the public and enhance life in their communities. Call any of our offices to get on the list of interested applicants for our next training.
- Master Naturalists: The Master Naturalist program provides opportunities for adult volunteers to learn about their state's natural history, environment, and conservation issues. Master Naturalist programs promote nature-based community service by citizen volunteers and provide continuing education opportunities. Call any of our offices to get on the list of interested applicants for our next training.
- Extension Council: Adults and teens from Henderson, Knox, McDonough, and Warren counties work together to assist staff in program prioritization, local needs assessment, and advocating our mission and vision. Council members serve two-year terms and meet approximately four times per year.
All volunteers working with youth are screened prior to undertaking assignments.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with University of Illinois Extension, please call one of our local offices:
- Henderson- 309-924-1163
- Knox- 309-342-5108
- McDonough- 309-837-3939
- Warren- 309-734-5161