International Extension

Travel Policy and Assistance

If you plan an international trip either on your own or accompanied by a group, there are certain things you need to prepare.

Step 1: Getting approval

To get a trip approved that takes you abroad you need to fill out the form to request authority to travel out of the country.

This form has to be signed by your respective superior and sent for further processing to the address below.

Office of Extension and Outreach
College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences
214 Mumford Hall, MC-710
1301 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801

Allow at least six to eight weeks for processing of the form.

Step 2: Travel arrangements

To make travel arrangements you can either book your flight tickets with your personal credit card and get it reimbursed later on or you can use a p-card. If you would like to use a p-card be aware that there is usually only one person in each office who has the option of using their p-card for purchasing airfare. To find out who this person is contact your local office.
If traveling with a larger group and requiring purchasing airline tickets you might have to book the tickets via purchase order. In this case it is recommended to work with one of the University of Illinois preferred vendors. You can find the list of the preferred vendors under

Step 3: Security


Employees are encouraged to get travel health insurance when traveling abroad.

You may find your University-provided insurance has overseas limitations depending on the nature of the illness or injury. To complement the normal health plans available to employees through the State of Illinois, employees are encouraged to get travel health insurance when traveling abroad. There are several companies that specialize in covering overseas travelers. University Extension has had success with Medex - There are different coverage options depending on the security level you prefer. The average cost per day is around four dollars per person depending upon destination and coverage.

Since travel insurance is not standard procedure you need to obtain permission from the University Administration Payables. The contact person there is Sandra Ehler You can request permission via email. Necessary data to give: reason of travel, number of travelers, cost.

Travel Warnings

Before getting on a trip, please check the website of the US State Department for Travel Warnings: In case the country you have plans to travel to is under travel warning please make sure to get in contact with the University of Illinois Office of the Provost. There is a University of Illinois policy for international travel restricting official travel to these areas. You will find all necessary information at:

Step 4. Health and Immunization

Please also make sure to check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the Department of Health and Human Services for possible health hazards and immunization requirements at your destination. Please see:

Step 5: Travel Policies

Before traveling, make sure that you are knowledgeable about the University of Illinois policy on international travel: as well as the U of I guidelines on international travel:

Step 6: Reimbursement

Please find information about reimbursement for your trip at: