Travel the store, learning tips to maximize your shopping experience & stretch your grocery dollars, while selecting healthy food. Learn about the new nutrition facts label, why shopping in season is healthy & a great way to save money too!
Explore Local Programs
- * Unit 1 Programs and Events
- 4-H Tech Wizards
- Community Gardening Project
- Food Enterprise Center
- Illinois Cottage Food Operation Information
- Jo Daviess County 4-H
- Jo Daviess Master Naturalists
- JoDaviess County Master Gardeners
- Public Value Statements
- Stephenson County 4-H
- Stephenson County Master Gardeners
- Stephenson Local Foods Initiative
- Unit 1 Ag Newsletter
- Unit 1 Annual Reports
- Unit 1 Extension Council Meetings
- Winnebago County 4-H
- Winnebago County Master Gardeners
- Winnebago Local Foods Initiative
- Winnebago Master Naturalists
- Illinois Nutrition Education Programs
- Eating Healthier While Spending Less, Nutrition Tour (Freeport)
Register by September 20, 2018
- 4-H Archery Shooting Sports Program (Stephenson)
Register by September 24, 2018
- The Sweet Science and Love of Chocolate (Rockford)
Register by October 1, 2018
- 4 Season Hort Webinars
Register by October 9, 2018
- Eggs: From Farm to Fork (Jo Daviess)
Register by October 12, 2018
- Tea and Crafts with the Gardeners (Jo Daviess)
Register by October 15, 2018
- The Backyard Orchard (Jo Daviess)
Register by October 16, 2018
- 2018 4-H Award & Volunteer Recognition Event (Stephenson)
Register by October 17, 2018
- Understanding How Diet Influences Inflammation (Freeport)
Register by October 18, 2018
- Busy Lives - Easy Meals, Slow Cookers and More (Freeport)
Register by October 30, 2018
- Getting the Scoop on Winter Squash (Freeport)
Register by November 8, 2018
- Certified Food Protection Mgr. Course, December, (Freeport)
Register by December 4, 2018
Read the Latest News
- » Deeper Roots Blog
A blog focused on marketing in the local food system
- » Hill and Furrow Blog
Current topics about crop production in Western Illinois, including field crops research at the NWIARDC in Monmouth.
- » Hort in the Home Landscape Blog
A blog devoted to sharing timely horticulture topics and answering the questions of gardeners and homeowners.
- » Illinois Nutrition Edition Blog
A Source for Health Information You Can Trust
- » Northwest Illinois Horticulture Corner Blog
In the far Northwest Corner of Illinois, gardening is a very popular pastime! Get your info here!
- » Raise, Grow, Harvest, Eat, Repeat Blog
A blog for growers, consumers, and backyard gardeners to grow, eat, and connect in the local food system.
- » The Ag Engineering Update Blog
The latest and greatest from your livestock engineers.
- » The Cattle Blog
- » The Cattle Connection Blog
The cattlemen's connection to timely topics, current research, and profitable management strategies
- » The Seed Bank Blog
A blog for producers to stay updated regarding management practices and production concerns in NW Illinois.
- » The Small Ruminant Blog
- Master Gardener from Stephenson County Recognized for Service
- FHN Offering Walk-Up Flu Shot Clinic at Highland Farmers Market
- Tea and Crafts with the Gardeners
- The Backyard Orchard
- Busy Lives – Easy Meals, Slow Cookers and More
- Eggs: From Farm to Fork
- Getting the Scoop on Winter Squash!
- ILLINOIS 4-H FOUNDATION HONORS 67 VOLUNTEERS
- The Sweet Science and Love of Chocolate
- Understanding How Diet and Lifestyle Influences the Inflammation Process
- Lena Farmers Market Late Summer Offerings
- Lena Farmers Market Continues
- Nutrition Tour: Eating Healthier While Spending Less
- Soybean Planting Populations and Seed Treatments
- Planning ahead with yield Estimates
- Scholarship Recipients Announced by Stephenson County 4-H and Extension Foundation
- Tar Spot: Emerging Corn Disease in Northern Illinois
- U of I Extension Announces Brittany Koch Scholarship Winners
- 2018; The year to try cover crops?
- White Mold - Cause for Concern?
- Plant a Row for the Hungry Summer Kick off
- Highland Farmers Market returns for Seventh Season
- Master Gardener Helpline Helps Home Gardeners
- Lena Farmers Market Opens May 2
University of Illinois Extension serving Jo Daviess, Stephenson and Winnebago Counties
Highland Community College, Bldg R
2998 W Pearl City Rd
Freeport, IL 61032
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Jo Daviess County
204 Vine, PO Box 600
Elizabeth, IL 61028
SNAP Ed Office
650 North Main St
Rockford, IL 61103
1040 North Second Street
Rockford, IL 61107
When it comes to chocolate, what’s not to love? Chocolate has been a vital part of our history for as far back as people can remember. Have you ever wondered where it came from, how it is made, or why there are so many varieties of chocolate to choose fro
Celebrate National 4-H Week - October 7-13, 2018
Seven million 4-H members from across the world will celebrate National 4-H Week in October! Contact the U of I Extension offices in our tri-county region to find out more about the various celebrations... and how YOU too can become a 4-Her!
Interested in learning the difference between free range eggs and free roaming eggs. During this workshop consumers will be armed with knowledge to make well informed decisions regarding the purchase of their eggs and keeping them safe from farm to fork.
While enjoying tea, made by the Master Gardeners with garden herbs, you will get to put your creative mind to work and make festive wreaths out of grapevines that will be perfect to decorate your house for the upcoming fall season!
The Backyard Orchard program is designed for people with already established fruit trees or those who are looking to get started in setting up an orchard.
Stephenson County is excited to offer another 4-H Archery program! Youth will learn the basic principles of archery; safe and responsible use of equipment; marksmanship; positive youth development and leadership skills. Register at the link below
FHN has added new, convenient flu shot clinics to its regular schedule throughout the area. One of them includes a walk up clinic at the Highland Farmers Market from 3–6 p.m., Wed. Sept. 26 in parking lot C.
Learn helpful tips to maximize your slow cooker, the science behind why some dishes turn out beautifully, which slow cooker is for you, fun recipes and samples! Join Diane Reinhold, Nutrition & Wellness Educator.
Getting the Scoop on Winter Squash will discuss a variety of winter squash, & how to select, store, and offer great ideas on how to prepare and use these culinary favorites. Join Diane Reinhold, Nutrition & Wellness Educator to learn how!
Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) courses will be offered this year. Click on link below for details and to register or call a local Extension office. See flyer below for details.
Welcome to the University of Illinois Extension serving Jo Daviess, Stephenson, and Winnebago Counties. Using the vast resources of the U of I, Extension provides practical, research-based information to make a positive difference in people's lives. Explore our website and let us help you put knowledge to work!
No Upcoming Extension Meetings.