Read the Latest News
- Life from the Ground Up Blog
- Gardener's Corner
Four seasons of gardening information.
- Home Yard and Garden Pest
Provides timely information on insect, weed, and plant disease pests for landscapers, arborists, lawn care professionals, golf course personnel, and garden center operators.
- Illinois Fruit and Vegetable News
A newsletter on the production of fruit and vegetable crops in Illinois.
- Illinois Small Farms Newsletter
News pertaining to small farm operations in Illinois.
Newsletter from the State Master Gardener's Office
- New Agriculture Network
Seasonal advice for field crop and vegetable growers interested in organic agriculture.
Program Coordinator, Horticulture
University of Illinois Extension
100 South US Highway 45
Grayslake, IL 60030
Lake County Master Gardeners
2019 Extension Master Gardener Plant Sale
“From Our Gardens to Yours”
Don’t Miss the 2019
University of Illinois Lake County Extension Master Gardeners
Saturday, May 18, 2019
9:00 am- 2:00 pm
100 S. U.S. Highway 45
Grayslake, IL 60030
Calling all gardeners! Mark your calendars for Saturday, May 18, 2019, for the Lake County Extension Master Gardeners Spring Plant Sale at the University of Illinois Extension, 100 South U.S. Highway 45, in Grayslake, IL. At our plant sale, held from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., you will see plants from our Master Gardeners’ home gardens, including unique plants and superior quality perennials from our Extension Office Demonstration Gardens.
In total, more than 2,000 plants will be available for purchase, including native plants that attract and support pollinators, house plants, and home-grown herbs and vegetables. With countless tomato seedlings grouped into saucing, cherry and slicing varieties, you will find numerous options for an amazing crop this summer. Whether you are looking for Romas, Super Sweet 100s or Beefsteaks, we have an enticing array of plants from which to choose. If you enjoy growing your own food, our seedlings will jump-start your lush, edible garden.
From ground covers to shrubs and from shade to sun-lovers, these plants are acclimated to our local climate and growing conditions. To help new plants thrive in your landscape, Organimix® brand compost is available for sale while supplies last.
In addition to plants, shop our “Garden Treasures” for new and gently used items to enhance your landscape and home, including yard art, garden tools, vintage finds, decorative containers and gardening books. For your convenience, there are multiple check-out lanes, plentiful parking and assistance with plant selection or gardening questions from Extension Master Gardeners on site.
The Plant Sale is the Master Gardeners’ primary fundraising event of the year. In 2018, our Master Gardeners volunteered over 9,000 hours in the community. Proceeds from the 2018 Plant Sale supported the following community outreach initiatives:
· Food Pantries: Holy Family, Chapel Care Garden and Calvary Presbyterian Church
· School Gardens: Lake Zurich High School Transition Greenhouse, NorthPointe Therapeutic, Peter J. Palombi Intermediate School and Vernon Hills Garden Explorers
· Community Gardens: Roberti Jr. Green Youth Farm, Fox Lake Community Garden, Lambs Farm, Hermon Park Helping Hands Garden
· Plant Clinics: Antioch Public Library, Ela Area Public Library, Fremont Public Library, Lake Villa District Library, Round Lake Area Public Library, Warren-Newport Public Library, Wauconda Area Library, Lake Bluff Farmer’s Market, Wadsworth Farmer’s Market
· Demonstration Gardens: Extension Office – Compost, Demo, Greenhouse, SEED and Waterwise, Lake County Central Permit Facility Rain Garden
· Other Events: Lake County Fairgrounds – Fair, Home and Garden Show, Cool Learning Experience, Earth Week Events at Antioch High School and Lake County Health Department, Fremont Elementary School Garden Learning Project, Green Living Fair, Neal Math & Science Academy, Round Lake Area Garden Club Seed Swap, Speakers’ Bureau Events at Antioch Seniors, Fox Lake Community Garden, Vernon Hills Park District, Vernon Area Library Community Garden
The Lake County Extension Master Gardeners Plant Sale takes place rain or shine on Saturday, May 18, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Payments are accepted in cash or by check. For more information or questions, please call (847) 223-8627 and ask for an Extension Master Gardener.
- EMG Sale Plant List
This is a list of the plants that are expected at our 2019 Extension Master Gardener Plant Sale.