Sangamon-Menard 4-H News
In This Issue
- 2018-2019 Online 4-H Enrollment and Program Fee Reminder
- You’re Invited!!
- Beef Weigh-in
- 4-H Air Pistol Sessions
- 4-H Archery Sessions
- Sewing Workshop
- Sewing Special Interest Club Forming
- 4-H International Night!
- 4-H Public Speaking
- 4-H Livestock Judging
- Unit 16 4-H Horse Committee Volunteers Needed for 2019!
- 2019 4-H Shows Information
- All General Project and Sangamon Livestock Superintendents' Meeting
- Attention Seniors!!! Local 4-H Scholarships Available
- Get Cash to Help Improve Your Community
- Clover Spotlight!
- Farm Credit Illinois Scholarships
- Illinois 4-H Livestock Scholarship
- Legacy of Leadership Scholarship
- IAA FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS
- Camp Lead 4-H Junior Leadership Conference – Feb. 23 & 24 | Champaign, IL
- Grab your gear and head to 4-H Memorial Camp
- Time for you to Explore ACES
- There’s a place for you at 4-H House
- Help us understand youth!
- Begin your global travels with 4-H
- Step up on National 4-H Day of Service
- Educator Corner
2018-2019 Online 4-H Enrollment and Program Fee ReminderEnrollment: If you have not enrolled for the 2017-2018 4-H year, please do so now! Don't forget, 4-H Leaders need to re-enroll, as well as members! If you have questions about enrollment or need access to a computer, contact Sharon Lounsberry at 782-4617 or 632-7491. We will be updating our contact lists in January, and if you are not enrolled for the current year, this will be the last newsletter you will receive. Everyone enrolled will automatically receive an emailed copy of the newsletter. If you would like a hard copy mailed to your home, please contact Sandy Duncheon at email@example.com or 217-782-4617 if you have not already made this request for the current year.
Annual Program Fee: If you chose the option to pay the Annual 4-H Program Fee by check, and have not yet submitted payment to the Extension office, please take care of that now. The fee is $20 per member, and checks should be made payable to U of I Extension, with the member's name(s) and words "4-H fee" on the memo line. Checks can be mailed, or brought to the Extension Office, 700 S Airport Drive, Springfield, IL 62707. If you are not sure if you paid the fee, you can contact Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask.
March 1, 2018: Deadline to add/drop projects to be eligible to register to exhibit in them at this year's County 4-H Shows (some livestock project deadlines are earlier).
You’re Invited!!All 4-H members, parents, leaders, and alumni are welcome to attend the Sangamon County 4-H Foundation Annual Meeting! It will be Tuesday, January 29th, 2019 at the Sangamon County Extension Office, 700 S Airport Drive, Springfield. The evening will start with a potluck at 6 pm. The Foundation will provide meat, table service and drinks. Families attending are asked to bring a side dish or dessert to share. Like to be involved? Foundation is looking for volunteers for specific projects or committees, as well as board members. If you have questions, please contact Ethan Krone 899-8979 or Abby Hunt 971-1359.
Beef Weigh-in4-H members enrolled in the beef project, who wish to exhibit steers at the County 4-H Show or Illinois State Fair Junior Show, must have them weighed and tattooed (there will be no Market Heifer class at the State Fair or County 4-H Shows this year). You will have two weigh-in options offered this year by the LMS Unit. One will be Saturday, February 2, 1-3 p.m., at Greenhaven Animal Clinic, Rte.136/east side of San Jose; the second option will be Saturday, February 9, 9 a.m. at the Petersburg Veterinary Clinic.
** Beef and Dairy Cows should be owned by January 1, 2019; Steers should be owned by February 1, 2019.
4-H Air Pistol SessionsThis 4-H SPIN (Special Interest) Club will teach firearm safety, and basic shooting and sportsmanship skills using air pistols, and is open to youth ages 8-18 (age as of Sept. 1, 2018). Session Dates: Wednesday January 9, 16, 23, 30 and February 6 & 13, 6:00 -7:30 pm. All sessions will be held at Lefthanders Gun Club, 9364 Rhea Park Rd, Loami, IL 62661. Space will be limited. Registration and further information will be available online at www.web.extension.illinois.edu/lms/sangamon4h/ or contact Sharon Lounsberry at email@example.com or 217-782-4617.
4-H Archery SessionsThe first 6 week series of 4-H Archery sessions for 2019 has been scheduled to begin Wednesday, January 16. Youth who are 8 to 18 years old (age as of Sept. 1, 2018) are eligible to participate. Sessions will be held at Springfield Archery, 1550 Knights Recreation Drive, Springfield, IL 62711 from 6:30-7:30 PM on the following session dates: January 16, 23, 30 & February 6, 13, & 20. Participants are not required to have their own equipment. Space will be limited. Registration and further information will be available online at https://web.extension.illinois.edu/lms/ . Slots will be filled on a first-come, first- served basis. Please contact Sharon Lounsberry at firstname.lastname@example.org or
217-782-4617, if you have questions about Shooting Sports programs.
Sewing WorkshopU of I Extension 4-H, in cooperation with volunteers from the local American Sewing Guild chapter, are offering a 4-H Sewing Workshop at the Extension office in Springfield on Saturday, February 2, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Check out the details and registration online at https://web.extension.illinois.edu/lms/ . Space is limited and slots will be filled on a first-come first-served basis. If you have questions please contact Sharon Lounsberry, at email@example.com or 217-782-4617.
Sewing Special Interest Club FormingYouth ages 8-18 (age as of September 1, 2018) are eligible to participate in a new 4-H STEAM Sewing SPIN Club sponsored and led by members of the Capitol Unit of the Sangamon County Association for Home and Community Education. The club will meet 6 to 8 times, 6-7:30 p.m., on Thursday evenings at the Sangamon County Extension Office (700 S. Airport Dr. Springfield, IL), and will begin on Thursday, March 7. Participants will learn sewing and textile skills and complete one or more projects (beginner level).
- Meeting Dates: Thursdays March 7, 14 & 28, April 4, 11, 18 & 25
- Cost: Free for current 4-H members; $20 annual program fee for youth not enrolled in 4-H for 2018-2019.(Scholarship assistance available if needed to cover the annual program fee)
- Participants provide their own supplies and sewing machine. A limited number of machines available to borrow with advance request.
4-H International Night!4-H International Night returns on Monday, April 8, 2019 and clubs, individuals, and small groups are encouraged to present on a country of their choice. This year's program will be hosted at Sangamon County Extension Office! Reserve your country of choice by contacting Carissa Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org with your group name, contact information, and your country of choice. More information will be made available to 4-H leaders soon.
4-H Public Speaking4-H members are encouraged to consider participating in the County 4-H Public Speaking Contest. To be eligible to participate, members must be enrolled in the Public Speaking 4-H Project before March 1, 2019. Families can log in to their 4-H family profile and add the project to their children's profile, or send an email to email@example.com or call 782-4617 to request to be added to the Public Speaking project. Those enrolled in the project will receive further details about exhibit classes for the project. The County Public Speaking Contest will be held on Tuesday, April 30, 6:30 p.m. at the Extension Office in Springfield.
4-H Livestock JudgingYouth interested in 4-H Livestock Judging are asked to contact Sharon Lounsberry at firstname.lastname@example.org. by January 15 to get details about judging for 2018-2019. Practices will be held at Taylorville, and begin January 22.
Unit 16 4-H Horse Committee Volunteers Needed for 2019!Help us make the 2019 Unit 16 4-H Horse Show a success by joining the planning committee! All adult and youth committee members ages 12 and up are welcome! The next meeting will be held Monday, January 14th at 6:30 p.m. at the Sangamon County Extension Office. Find out more and be added to the email list by contacting Carissa Davis at email@example.com .
2019 4-H Shows InformationDates and times are still being finalized for individual shows, which will be announced as available, but see list below for some of the dates and announcements.
- Unit 16 4-H Horse Show will be held on Sunday, June 9th (rain date of June 23rd ) at Refuge Ranch.
- Sangamon-Menard 4-H Clothing Show: Saturday, June 22 at the Sangamon County Extension Office.
- Sangamon-Menard 4-H General Project Show: Saturday July 6, at Fairgrounds in New Berlin, IL .
- Sangamon 4-H Livestock Shows: July 6-7, at Sangamon County Fairgrounds in New Berlin, IL
- Menard County 4-H Livestock Shows will be at the Menard County Fair July 16-22.
All General Project and Sangamon Livestock Superintendents' MeetingThursday, January 24, 2019 6 p.m. Sangamon County Extension Office.
Attention Seniors!!! Local 4-H Scholarships AvailableDetails and applications for local scholarships that are available only to Sangamon and Menard 4-H members can be found on our Unit 16 website, https://web.extension.illinois.edu/lms/sangamon4h/ , under the "4-H Scholarships" tab, and are due by MARCH 1, 2019. This includes the Menard County 4-H Scholarship, Sangamon County 4-H Foundation Scholarship, and the Harold Stremsterfer Memorial Scholarship. Please note that this is an earlier application deadline than in past years!
Get Cash to Help Improve Your CommunityLooking for funding support to conduct community service outreach in your community? Farm Credit Illinois is ready to help Illinois 4-H clubs and FFA chapters bring positive and visible change to Illinois communities! Fifty $500 Community Improvement Grants are available. Clubs must be located in one of the 60 central and southern Illinois counties served by Farm Credit Illinois. Check if your club is eligible and apply today at farmcreditIL.com. Be sure to contact your LOCAL EXTENSION OFFICE BEFORE applying for this grant to ensure you follow all fiscal requirements!
- West Menarders 4-H Club had a STEM presentation at their club meeting followed bya structure building team activity!
- Illiopolis 4-H Club members are pictured following their Club's 4-H Officer and New Member Installation Ceremony.
- Mission T.E.A.M. Leadership Training participants had a lot of fun working as a team to maneuver the Blue Jello Swamp!
Farm Credit Illinois ScholarshipsHigh school seniors planning careers in agriculture may apply for a $2,000 scholarship. Farm Credit Illinois will provide 30 scholarships to youth who live or farm in one of the 60 counties in their service area. Apply online at farmcreditIL.com before March 1. Are you going to University of Illinois College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences? The college is MATCHING this scholarship, dollar for dollar! Double your money while getting a great ag education!
Illinois 4-H Livestock ScholarshipThis $1,000 Illinois 4-H Livestock Scholarship is open to members who have demonstrated mastery in the livestock area and plan to continue their education in the area of agriculture. Members must have been involved in the livestock project a minimum of three years. You must have been a member for at least 5 years and attending either a 4-year university, community college, or trade school. The scholarship is open to high school seniors and college freshmen. Applications are due March 1. Download the application @ go.illinois.edu/4Hscholarships.
Legacy of Leadership ScholarshipFifteen $1,000 Legacy of Leadership Scholarship are offered to members who have demonstrated overall mastery and leadership in the 4-H program. You must have been a member for at least 5 years and attending either a 4-year university, community college, or trade school. The scholarship is open to high school seniors and college freshmen. Applications are due March 1. Download the application @ go.illinois.edu/4Hscholarships. Finalists must submit a video of your 4-H accomplishments.
IAA FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPSThe IAA Foundation provides college scholarships to Illinois Farm Families, Illinois Farm Bureau members, spouses, or their children who major in agriculture, agribusiness, or an ag-related course of study. This year, the IAA Foundation offers 72 awards ranging from $1,000 to $7,500. Applicants may apply for more than one but can only receive one scholarship. In addition to the above guidelines, many scholarships have specific requirements which you will need to review. Apply online before February 1, 2019 @ http://www.iaafoundation.org/iaaf/Scholarships/overview_scholarships.htm .
Camp Lead 4-H Junior Leadership Conference – Feb. 23 & 24 | Champaign, ILJoin in the fun of summer camp in the middle of winter at this year's Illinois 4-H Junior Leadership Conference. The conference is open to 4-H members in 7th and 8th grade. Cost is $160. Register now at go.illinois.edu/4Hjlc.
Check out these workshops:
- Survival Wearables: There are many kids in the world who will never get the chance to go to camp. In this workshop, you'll work with Real Hope for Haiti to help clothe boys and girls around the world!
- The Wilderness Challenge: Do you have what it takes? Come experience the wilderness and try your best to overcome challenging physical and mental obstacles.
- Exploring the Forest of 4-H: Discover all of the opportunities 4-H has to offer. The possibilities in 4-H are endless. 4-H offers opportunities in science, agriculture and citizenship, in a positive environment where you get guidance from adult mentors and are encouraged to be a leader. Explore the forest of 4-H and search for your team.
- Crafty Rafty: Venture into the unknown with only a backpack as you build a raft to help you and your fellow explorers cross a ravine. This workshop allows attendees to work together and be creative to accomplish their goal!
- Science Explorers: Join us to explore different area of science under the Milky Way. You'll create glow-in-the-dark elephant toothpaste, experience the effects of static electricity, and fly to the stars with your man made rockets.
Grab your gear and head to 4-H Memorial CampBe part of the best camping experience in Central Illinois. Choose from one of these summer sessions:
- Tuesday, June 4 – Saturday, June 8
- Sunday, June 9 – Thursday, June 13
- Sunday, June 16 – Thursday, June 20
- Sunday, June 30 – Thursday, July 4
- Sunday, July 28 – Thursday, August 1
Time for you to Explore ACESTake a day and find out just what University of Illinois College of Agriculture, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences offers students. March 8 is saved for prospective students and their families; March 9 is for confirmed ACES students. Learn more online @ exploreaces.org.
There’s a place for you at 4-H HouseYoung women attending University of Illinois may wish to consider 4-H House Cooperative Sorority as their home away from home in the Fall of 2019. Eligible students must have three or more years of experience in a nationally-recognized leadership organization, such as 4-H, FFA, National Honor Society, Student Council, and others. Interview will be held on February 23-24 and March 9-10. If you or someone you know would be interested in interviewing or taking a tour, please visit 4hhouse.com or contact Interviewing Chair, Madison Wilson, @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us understand youth!The Youth Engaged 4 Change website has a fresh, new look with content that continues to inspire and empower young people to improve their lives and the world around them. Check it out @ engage.youth.gov. The site will help you FIND OPPORTUNITIES, including volunteering, internships, jobs, and leadership opportunities. FIND ANSWERS and explore resources on topics they care about, like mental health, relationships, education, and more. FIND INSPIRATION from Change Makers who are volunteering, acting as leaders and role models, advocating, and making an impact in the lives of others.
Begin your global travels with 4-HApplications are being accepted for participation in the 2019 4-H outbound international exchange programs being offered through University of Illinois 4-H and the States' 4-H International Committee. For 2019 interested 4-Hers between the ages of 12 – 18 have opportunities to travel to Japan, Costa Rica, Finland or South Korea. Check out the information for each country online @ go.illinois.edu/global4H.
Step up on National 4-H Day of Service4-H members do service better than everyone else! Join us for National 4-H Day of Service Saturday, April 27. The goal of National 4-H Day of Service is to encourage 4-H members in every county to make a positive difference. Service projects can be done by individuals or as an entire county 4-H program. No matter what the project, this will be a day to make a difference. Can't make it April 27? That's okay; plan something for any day in April.
Educator CornerFIVE TIPS TO BE SUCCESSFUL AS A 4-H CLUB LEADER
Compiled by Derrick Bruton and Laura Huebinger
Maintain good communication with your local county Extension office.
- Your County(s) Extension Educator, Program Coordinators, and County Support Staff are all there to support you. Feel free to ask questions!
- They can provide you with project resources to allow for success in project work.
- Readily share as much information with families as you have. You never know what might spark the interest of a particular member!
- Get to know families on a personal level so that you can help direct them to the projects and activities that they will be most interested in.
- Recognize the youth and the other adults in the club that assist to make the club successful. It can be a short thank you note sent to the person or a public acknowledgement in front of the club.
- Inspiration (5 minutes to open a meeting and bring the group together)
- Business (15-20 minutes to conduct business of the club and share committee reports)
- Program (15-20 minutes of educational program)
- Recreation (15-20 minutes of fun, hands-on activities)
- If the 4-H members are truly interested in a project and are able to take ownership, the project instantly becomes more successful.
- Parental support
- Community support
- Learn what your 4-H families are interested in and let those interests help guide projects the club.
- Remember why you are doing this....for the kids!
- Parents will bring their children back to the club meetings if the kids are truly having fun and learning something in the process.
- Make sure to allow time for "kids to be kids."
- Keep in mind the 4-H slogan: "Learn by doing."
CalendarMark Your Calendar:
See newsletter and website for registration and further details
- January 1, DEADLINE- Beef and Dairy Cows Ownership
- January 1 DEADLINE - Teach Outdoors & Joyce Betz Memorial Scholarship Due
- January 9: Air Pistol Sessions begin at Lefthander's Gun Club
- January 16: Archery Sessions begin at Springfield Archery
- January 24: 4-H Show All Superintendent's Meeting
- January 26-27: Youth Livestock Superhero Conference, /Decatur (7th, 8th & 9th grade)
- January 29: Annual Meeting Sangamon County 4-H Foundation and potluck 6:00 p.m.
- February 1, 2019 DEADLINE- Ownership of Steers
- February 2: Sewing Workshop with Sewing Guild, Sangamon County Office 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- February 2: Beef Weigh-in at Greenhaven Animal Clinic, 1-3 p.m.
- February 9: Beef Weigh-in at Petersburg Veterinary Clinic 9-10 a.m.
- February 21:4-H Federation at Sangamon County Extension Office 6:00 p.m.
- February 23-24: 4-H Junior Leadership Conference in Champaign (7th and 8th grade)
- March 1 DEADLINE – 4-H Livestock, Legacy of Leadership, and Farm Credit Scholarships
- March 1 DEADLINE – Sangamon County 4-H Foundation & Menard County 4-H Scholarships
- March 1 DEADLINE – Farm Credit Community Service Grants
- April 8: International Night
- April 27: National 4-H Day of Service
- April 30: Sangamon-Menard 4-H Public Speaking Contest
- May 11: State 4-H Robotics Competition
- June 4 – 8: 4-H Memorial Camp Week 1
- June 8-15: Citizenship Washington Focus Trip to Washington D.C.
- June 8: Illinois 4-H Public Speaking Contest
- June 9: Unit 16 4-H Horse Show (rain date of June 23rd ) at Refuge Ranch.
- June 9 – 13: 4-H Memorial Camp Week 2
- June 16 – 20: 4-H Memorial Camp Week 3
- June 22: Sangamon-Menard 4-H Clothing Show
- June 23-27: Illini Summer Academies
- June 30 – July 4: 4-H Memorial Camp Week 4
- July 6: Sangamon-Menard 4-H General Project Show in New Berlin
- July 6-7: 2018 4-H Show Weekend in New Berlin.
- July 16-21: Menard County Fair & 4-H Livestock Shows
- July 22-28: Illinois State Fair Junior Horse Show