University of Illinois Extension serving Jo Daviess, Stephenson and Winnebago Counties
Highland Community College, Bldg R
2998 W Pearl City Rd
Freeport, IL 61032
Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am to 4:30 pm
Jo Daviess County
204 Vine, PO Box 600
Elizabeth, IL 61028
SNAP Ed Office
650 North Main St
Rockford, IL 61103
1040 North Second Street
Rockford, IL 61107
May 9, 2016 Extension Council Meeting Minutes
Monday May 9, 2016 • 5:30 PM
This meeting has passed.
Unit 1 Extension Council Meeting
Monday, May 9, 2016
5:30 pm (light supper)
Stephenson County Extension Office
1. Welcome and Introductions: Council members and the six Extension Academic staff introduced themselves. In attendance: Mike Shore, Monica Pierce, Angie Goral, Chris Urish, Kevin Anne Sutter, Faye Lyons, Rick Dittmar, Drew Groezinger, Bev Haselhorst, Tiltyla Stone, Beth Baranski, and Don Klinger. Extension staff in attendance were Margaret Larson, Diane Reinhold, Jay Solomon, Grant McCarty, Candice Miller, Jackie DeBatista and Carol Erickson.
2. Review of Meeting Minutes-August/December 2015 meetings –minutes were approved.
3. Review of Extension Council Job Description-Copies of the Council Member Job Descriptions were in the folders and they were briefly reviewed.
4. Staffing Update (Unit)-Margaret shared that Carol and Jackie were former Program Coordinators who have moved into educator positions. Also shared that Meghan and Sandy left with Winnebago Office and that Samantha and Tammy have replaced them very recently. Finally, Alex Korte will be starting as a part-time extra-help Program Coordinator in Jo Daviess County next week.
5. Update on budget current year (local and state):Margaret Larson shared an update on the state budget situation and its effect on our local budget. Also shared that locally, support is very good and our county boards are continuing with financing Extension at current levels. Other local support, Foundations, Farm Bureau in Winnebago County, etc have been very generous with financial support.
6. Review of Budget-draft FY 17: the draft of the FY 17 budget was shared.
7. Update from Ray Massingill, Extension State Advisory Committee : although Ray was not able to attend the last meeting due to bad weather, he did share a little bit about the ESAC trip to DC to meet with our local legislatures.
8. Review of the Unit 1 Plan of Work and Related Calendar of Events—Feedback from Extension Council Members: In response to questions at the last council meeting regarding strategic planning, and a request from Monica Pierce, Chairperson, the topic of the Plan of Work was central to the meeting. Margaret prepared and presented a powerpoint about the specific priority program areas that Unit 1 works on, and the appropriate educators shared pertinent information about their work. The council members shared suggestions, asked questions, and basically learned a great deal about the role of the POW in our local Extension work.
9. Set possible next meeting dates (July?): it was determined that a doodle poll should be shared to find a date for a meeting in July. It was reinforced that the council does not want to meet in the winter.
10. Adjourn: meeting closed at 8:15 pm.>