University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Rock Island County
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
358 Front Street
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 4:30 pm, (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
Meeting Notes from May 20, 2014
Tuesday May 20, 2014 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
The joint meeting of the University of Illinois Extension Council – Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties – and the Extension Board was called to order by Bob Mueller on Tuesday, May 20, 2014, at 6:20 p.m. at the Woodhull Town Hall, 150 N. Division St., Woodhull, IL 61490.
Jenny Garner presented Pecha Kucha.
Present: Allycia Andrews, Latricia Andrews, Jayne Booth, Barbara Chiles, Al Curry, Stephanie Dorsey, Brenda Flynn, Darcy McRoberts, Bob Meuller, Jenna Preston, Gary Smith, Danny Weatherspoon, Jamie Schaffer, and Larry Stone
Excused: Adrian Blackwell, Kelton Cheline, Eva Dynes, Zenaida Landeros, Kyle Lloyd, Adela Martinez, Alice Webster, Rick Livesay, Ginny Shelton, and Martha Smith
Others Present: Tony Franklin, Diane Baker, Kristin Bogdonas, Jenny Garner, and Cheryl Geitner
Guests: Ryan Hobson
Introductions were made by Tony Franklin: Larry Stone – Mercer County Board, Jamie Schaffer – Stark County Board, Ryan Hobson – Regional Director of Region II
Public comments: None
· Correction on page 2 that Jenny did not attend the CED Advisory meeting; she convened it. The minutes of the last meeting were approved as amended on a motion by Al Curry and a second by Danny Weatherspoon. Motion carried.
· Fiscal reports were given by Tony Franklin. Reports were in council packets. Motion to approve the fiscal reports by Barbara Chiles and a second by Gary Smith. Motion carried.
• Danny Weatherspoon commented on the 100 year gala and how it was well done.
- Larry Stone commented on the open houses at the Aledo office and the Pumpkin House at the fairgrounds – both were very nice.
- Barbara Chiles commented on the Aledo office open house.
- Al Curry commented on the open house.
· Diane Baker had handouts on summer activities; talked on the Centennial gala event follow-up; Teens as Teachers; Military kids camp (a donor gave $35,000 for it this summer).
· Kristin Bogdonas talked on county health rankings; classes on healthy eating – digestive health problems; opportunities for food preservation – "Yes! You CAN" class and "Preserve the Taste of Summer."
· Jenny Garner talked on Quad Cities Fast Pitch Contest; Small Business Day celebration – winners from Mercer County were announced.
· Cheryl Geitner welcomed the new 4-H program coordinator for Henry-Stark counties; talked on Expansion and Review committee (only Stark County members were there); brainstormed Special Interest clubs; has three new Shooting Sports coordinators; needs volunteers for the Food Challenge (all volunteers must go through protection of minors training); received a grant from John Deere – Teen Hunger Ambassador – and ideas to expose kids to ways to address hunger; hired Chelsea Verbeck to help in Milan office this summer.
· Martha included a handout on the Emerald Ash Borer.
Other Reports and Announcements:
· Danny Weatherspoon talked about the plant and herb sale and projects with Master Gardeners and the display at the centennial celebration.
· Tony Franklin covered the Ag In The Classroom numbers that was included in the council packet. He also announced that Jenny Garner would be the interim county director when he leaves and he thanked everyone. He then gave a personnel update – announced the summer help and two current job openings; also two SNAP Ed people are retiring.
· Barbara Chiles mentioned the Rhubarb Fest to be held in Aledo on June 6-7.
· Ryan Hobson announced that the county director position applications closes on June 4 – hope to have new director on the job by mid-July. He also thanked the volunteers, two county board members, and Jenny Garner who was promoted to level 3.
Old Business: None
- Certify funding requests from county boards for FY15 – proposed budget for FY15 was introduced to Extension Board – requesting $69,130 from Henry, $64,000 from Mercer, and $225,000 from Rock Island. A motion was made by Larry Stone and seconded by Latricia Andrews to accept the funding requests. Motion passed.
- Concurrence on FY15 budget plan – Extension Council and Extension Board. Barbara Chiles made a motion and Gary Smith seconded. Motion passed.
- Repairs needed for Milan office.
- Hire a secretary for Mercer County.
- Purchase a Mondopad.
- Recognition of retiring council members – gave certificates to Stephanie Dorsey and Jenna Preston; Alice Webster was not in attendance.
- Scholarship winner – Jenna Preston.
- Two new members coming from Henry County next fall.
- Mercer County BBQ on June 13.
- Turn in evaluations.
A motion to adjourn was made by Larry Stone and seconded by Stephanie Dorsey. The meeting was adjourned at 7:22 p.m.