University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Rock Island County
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
358 Front Street
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 4:30 pm, (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
UI Extension Council Minutes from March 17, 2015
Tuesday March 17, 2015 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
University of Illinois Extension Council Meeting-Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties
Tuesday, March 17, 2015, at 6:00 p.m. at the Mercer County Health Department, 305 NW 7th Street, Aledo, Il 61231
The regular meeting of the Unit 7 (Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, & Stark Counties) Extension Council was called to order by Adrian Blackwell on Tuesday, March 17, 2015, at 6:00 p.m. at the Mercer County Health Department, 305 NW 7th Street, Aledo, Il 61231.
Kristin Bogdonas, Chad Summers and Nieko Summers held an educational session: "Improving Food Access and Food Choices through Partnerships in Education.
Present: Adrian Blackwell, Jayne Booth, Barbara Chiles, Al Curry, Koushhik Kumar, Kyle Lloyd, Darcy Roberts, Bob Mueller, Cody Scott, Gary Smith and Danny Weatherspoon.
Absent/Excused: Allycia Andrews, Latricia Andrews, Jeff Ellerbrock, Brenda Flynn, Isaac Goldner, Alyssa Gustus, and Zenaida Landeros
Others Present: Jenny Garner, Kristin Bogdonas, Brad Cirks and Russell Medley
Guests: Ryan Hobson
Public Comments: None
- The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as written. Danny Weatherspoon moved to accept the minutes and Gary Smith seconded the motion. Motion Carried.
- Fiscal reports were given by Jenny Garner. Reports were found in Council packets. Barb Chiles asked how many payments are received from the State of Illinois each year. Typically 3-4 depending if the payments are delayed at the State level. Al Curry received notification that all county fair money for premiums will not be received. Article in local papers. Jenny was pleased to announce that Unit 7 is fully staffed, therefore expenses have gone up as expected. The fiscal report was reviewed as a council.
Council Report & Comments:
- Kyle Lloyd, thanked Extension for the agriculture learning display and toys on loan in the Health Department waiting room. Barb reported the 4-H soup cook off and the FFA Banquet in Mercer County were both a success.
- Jayne Booth, complimented the great speakers at the recent Nursery School
- Danny Weatherspoon, represented the Extension Council at the ESAC meeting in Springfield. A lot of information was shared, overall the theme was to expect state cutbacks and general revenue is expected to decline by 20%. Need for all Units to enhance and improve fundraising efforts. Extension partners need to lobby and promote the positive programming that Extension offers. Jayne commented the importance of the Governor knowing that Extension has already went through reorganization. Illinois did see positive results from the fair survey that was conducted last year. The statistics can be used to counteract cuts in funding.
- Ryan Hobson further explained the situation concerning funding. The proposed budget cuts are not set in stone. It is important for counties to reach out to their local legislatures.
- Kristin Bogdonas has been participating in lunch and learns and hands-on cooking classes. Promoted Heart Healthy Month in February and National Nutrition Month in March. Working with immigrants and refugee groups. Educating on cooking, food safety, cooking with herbs and food preservation.
- Brad Cirks has been working in schools, conducting assessments of their wellness policies and lunch programs. Busy preparing for summer food programs. Working with school districts to improve foods offered in vending machines and concession stands. Working with Kristin to provide programming for the immigrant and refugee population.
- Russell Medley has been seeking nominations for Mercer County businesses to compete for the Small Business Eagle Award. Nominations are due April 1st. The award ceremony is at Lake Storey on May 19th. Discussed the Mississippi River Geo-Tourism project involving Mercer and Rock Island Counties. Russell was pleased to announce that Illinois was awarded a grant from USDA to focus on Economic Development Planning.
- Please view staff reports that further outline all the great work being conducted by Unit 7 Educators.
- Jenny encouraged council members to recruit and invite potential new council members to the May meeting.
- Jenny requested a volunteer from RI County to sign checks for the RI Bank Account if needed. Jayne Booth nominated Danny and Al Curry seconded the nomination. Danny is the winner.
- Testing will be conducted the end of March, for the open SNAP-ED community worker positions. Seeking three workers to cover RI and Mercer and 1 worker to cover Henry/Stark.
- The Milan office continues to be renovated and repaired.
- The Henry County office will continue to partner with BHE.
- Ryan Hobson thanked the Council Members for their support and dedication to Extension.
A motion to adjourn was made by Jayne Booth and seconded by Bob Mueller. The meeting was adjourned at 7:15.