University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Rock Island County
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
358 Front Street
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 4:30 pm, (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
Unit 7 Extension Council Meeting Minutes October 20, 2015 meeting
Tuesday October 20, 2015 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
University of Illinois Extension Council Meeting – Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties
Tuesday, October 20, 2015, at 6 p.m. at the Rock Island County Extension Office, 321 W. 2nd Ave., Milan, IL 61264
The regular meeting of the Unit 7 (Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties) Extension Council was called to order by Jayne Booth on Tuesday, October 20, 2015, at 6:00 p.m. at the Rock Island County Extension Office, 321 West 2nd Avenue, Milan, IL 61264.
Diane Baker, Maya Chavez, and Mykeisha Wells started with an educational session about Teens as Teachers and the experience youth receive from this program.
Present: Jayne Booth, Al Curry, Dave Dyer, Rex Johnson, Kyle Lloyd, Tar Macias, Darcy McRoberts, Mallory Meyer, Bob Mueller, Ethan Scholl, Danny Weatherspoon, and Brandi Welch
Others Present: Jenny Garner, Diane Baker, Cheryl Geitner, Russell Medley, and Martha Smith
Absent/Excused: Michelle Cousineau, Loredia Dixon, Jeff Ellerbrock, Brenda Flynn, Dalton Spivey, Chad Summers, Kristin Bogdonas, and Brad Cirks
· The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as written. Dave Dyer moved to accept the minutes and Danny Weatherspoon seconded the motion; it passed.
· Jenny Garner reviewed "In and Out checking accounts" for Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark counties. Also discussed Unit 7 Trust Fund and Self Supporting/Revolving Fund.
· Jenny also touched on effects due to Illinois budget impasse.
· The Council looked at the Self Support/Revolving Account, and discussed charging the following expenses against it: 25% office supplies, education, and programming supplies. While salaries can also be charged against that account, the net result is loss of benefits cover. Danny Weatherspoon made a motion to advise not to take out for salaries, Bob Mueller seconded it, and motion carried.
· Danny Weatherspoon attended the State Council meeting: touched on issues like 30% food loss in the world that is starting to be addressed, reported some statistics mentioned by Tony Franklin at the meeting, and mentioned the legislative contact report-overall a really positive experience, Jennifer McCarthy gave a Family and Consumer Science update, and Zach Kennedy, Extension Specialist in Community Involvement, put together data for each county and anyone can call Zach for your county report.
· Diane Baker discussed 4-H Teen leadership projects – Teens as Teachers, Adventures Await, 4-H After-school, Northwest Illinois Volunteerism Conference, ECO-Camp, and SNAP-Ed update.
· Cheryl Geitner talked about presentations and projects she has helped with; also Cheryl and Brandi Welch spoke on Farm to Table – Teens as Teachers that took place over the summer.
· Russell Medley updated us on projects involving the Community and Economic Development. He was interested in holding a project involving farmers.
· Martha Smith updated us on working with Master Gardeners in the surrounding counties and working with horticulture and environmental factors. Martha also spoke for Kristin Bogdonas, absent, about nutrition and wellness and projects they are starting on.
Other Reports and Announcements:
· Ag Literacy Coordinator Summaries – looked at the three counties reports for Ag in the Classroom
· SNAP-Ed sheet – looked at statistics of total contacts by gender and age and also race and ethnicity
· U of I Extension Holiday Open House on December 1 from 3-5:30 p.m. for #GIVINGTUESDAY
· Fundraiser from iWireless Center involving Disney on Ice and Mannheim Steamroller Christmas by Chip Davis – get tickets and some money goes back to our organization
· Discussed and looked over Unit 7 2015-2018 Strategic Plan packet
· Rock Island Expansion and Review Committee Meeting is November 2, 2015
· A motion to discuss Bank Account Audit Statements and support findings were made by Bob Mueller and seconded by Kyle Lloyd; motion carried.
· Danny Weatherspoon cannot attend the State Advisory meeting on February 15, 2016 and Bob Mueller volunteered to go in his place.
· Dave Dyer ended by reading a 'Lesson from Friday Night Football' it summarized: "Otherwise, counties that are focused as intently on academics as we are on sports will soon 'have us for lunch' in economic terms," written by Mr. Nolan.
The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 16, 2016, 6 p.m. at the Mercer County Health Department, 305 NW 7th Street, Aledo, IL 61231.
There being no further discussion to come before the meeting, a motion to adjourn was made by Dave Dyer, with a second by Al Curry. The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.
Brandi Welch, Secretary