University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Rock Island County
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
358 Front Street
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 4:30 pm, (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
Unit 7 Extension Council Meeting Minutes from August 16, 2016
Tuesday August 16, 2016 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
MinutesUniversity of Illinois Extension Council Meeting- Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 6 p.m. at the Henry/Stark Extension Office, 358 Front Street, Galva, IL 61434
The regular meeting of the Unit 7 (Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties) Extension Council was called to order by Chad Summers on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. at the Henry/Stark Extension Office, 358 Front Street, Galva, IL 61434.
Present: Asrielle Allen, Barbara Chiles, Phil Cray, Grace DeBacker, Loredia Dixon, Dave Dyer, Carlos Jimenez, Missy Nagode, Kaley Rouse, Sugandhi Sivakumar, Chad Summers
Others Present: Jenny Garner, Diane Baker, Kristin Bogdonas, Cheryl Geitner, Russell Medley
· Minutes from May 17, 2016 were approved as written on a motion by Missy Nagode and a second by Loredia Dixon.
· Fiscal Report stated: The budget situation remains unclear; we utilized cash reserves heavily and ended the year with a balance of $280,715.03. Extension is supposed to receive funding with the Illinois stopgap measure that was passed by the legislature and signed off by the Governor for fiscal year 2017. Fair premiums received are for fiscal year 2016. A motion was made to approve the Fiscal Report by Carlos Jimenez and seconded by Loredia Dixon. Motion passed.
· Dave Dyer was appointed as a bank signatory for the Henry/Stark In/Out account.
· Chad Summers mentioned that he wanted to present us (Extension) with more information regarding sewage sludge. He would be willing to educate us more about the situation and answer any questions that we had.
· Diane Baker works with the youth development in the metro and military, helping those individuals find 4-H organizations. A Teens Teacher program is held over five weeks in 15 different cities learning about Healthy Living, Science, Tech Wizards, and Leadership Development. Also there has been an increase in drone usage in the classrooms, mainly being ag related.
· Kristin Bogdonas is working with chronic disease education, pushing for more hands-on food classes, and collaborating with other Extension offices. Extension just received a $6 million grant to work with lunchroom staff on being more health smart.
· Cheryl Geitner is looking to start community clubs, as well as SPecial INterest clubs, and hoping for an increase in gun and archery sports. There are now instructors in every county. Cheryl is also working with Healthy Living, Health Jam, and after school programs.
· Russell Medley works with the USDA for SET that includes Starky County, LEAD, and another program that has been sent for consideration to the USDA, as well as the Looser Flake Foundation and the Community Foundation of the Great River Bend in Mercer County.
· Jenny Garner reported a successful Galva open house for showcasing our new Henry-Stark new office downtown and the fact that they had over 300 people, 15 adults taking the salsa class, and five producers visit that day.. Postcards with a programming survey were given to the Advisory Council other local businesses and places to be filled out and brought back. A Civil Rights Compliance audit by the Extension leadership team on campus is scheduled for May 23, 2017. A $11,797.21 bequest was left by Martha P. Rittmueller. The Council also reviewed the University of Illinois' strategic plan (Extension mentioned on pg. 11) and Equal Employment Opportunity requirements.
Other Reports and Announcements:
· Barb Chiles talked about the severe storm during the Mercer County Fair that prevented state legislators from visiting the new Extension Bee Pollinator and 4-H Ag Olympics events.
· Election of Officers
o Chair: Chad Summers
o Vice Chair: Barbara Chiles
o Secretary: Kaley Rouse
o Financial Reporter: Loredia Dixon
Motion was approved by Barbara Chiles and seconded by Dave Dyer. Motion passed.
· Appointments for the Extension Board:
o Rock Island Co.: Carlos Jimenez
o Stark Co.: Missy Nagode
Motion was approved by Grace DeBacker and seconded by Loredia Dixon. Motion passed.
· Tim Wells was recognized at our meeting as the Regional Advisory Council Representative.
· A notice of office closures was made (November 24-25, 2016; December 23 & 26-30, 2016; January 2, 2017).
· To ensure UIE Equal Opportunity Employment Program, veterans were just added to the list. Suggestions were made for reaching out to veterans. They are already being reached well enough by going through the VFWs and American Legions.
· Next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. at the Mercer County Extension Office, 2106 SE Third Street, Aledo, IL preceded by a 5:45 p.m. educational session.
There being no further discussion to come before the meeting, a motion was made by Phil Cray and seconded by Dave Dyer, that the meeting be adjourned. The motion passed and the meeting was adjourned at 7:02 p.m.
Kaley RouseSecretary >