University of Illinois Extension serving Henry, Mercer, Rock Island and Stark Counties
Rock Island County
321 W 2nd Avenue
Milan, IL 61264
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 4:30pm (closed from 12pm - 1pm)
358 Front Street
Galva, IL 61434
Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8am - 4:00pm (closed from 12pm - 12:30pm)
2106 SE Third Street
Aledo, IL 61231
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday from 8am - 4:00 pm, (closed from 12pm - 12:30pm)
UI Extension Advisory Council Minutes from 21 Aug 2018
Tuesday August 21, 2018 • 6:00 PM
This meeting has passed.
University of Illinois Extension Council Meeting – Henry, Mercer, Rock Island, and Stark Counties
Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 6 p.m. at Galva Extension Office, 358 Front Street, Galva IL 61244
A new member orientation to University of Illinois Extension was held prior to the meeting at 5:45 p.m.
Present: Calvin Banks, Nathan DeRycke, Dave Dyer, Carlos Jiménez, Rex Johnson, Kyle McEwen, Sugandhi Sivakumar, Tori Speer, Emma Webster
Others Present: Kristin Bogdonas, Jenny Garner, Haley Haverback, Russell Medley, Jennifer Peterson, Martha Smith
· The minutes of the last meeting on May 16, 2017 were approved as read on a motion made by Dave Dyer and a second by Sugandhi Sivakumar. Motion carried.
· Extension has received 50% of the 8.3 million FY18 CBM. This infusion of the CBM was realized in the June financial statement.
· An additional $5 million from the Governor's Office has been allocated for Extension. Monies have not arrived in central funds as of this date.
· The In/Out accounts for Henry-Stark, Mercer, and Rock Island Counties were reviewed.
· Existing bank signatories for county specific in-and-out accounts were reviewed.
o Henry-Stark – John Bowser, Dave Dyer, Jenny Garner, Jennifer Peterson
o Mercer – Jenny Garner, Tracy Fowler-Pestle, Kyle McEwen, Martha Smith
o Rock Island – Diane Baker, Kristin Bogdonas, Loredia Dixon, Tracy Fowler-Pestle, Jenny Garner, Martha Smith
· Kyle McEwen made a motion, seconded by Dave Dyer, for the addition of new bank signatories as follows. Motion carried.
o Henry-Stark – add Haley Haverback
o Mercer – add Jennifer Peterson; add Tori Speer
o Rock Island – add Calvin Banks; delete Diane Baker
· New youth council members provided self-introductions, including where they were from, how many years they had been in 4-H, and what projects they were involved in.
· Discussion was held on the continuance of the educational sessions prior to the official start of the meeting, as well as the official meet start time. The Council agreed to continue with current structure of 5:45 p.m. optional educational sessions and 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Council meeting timeframe.
· Jenny Garner offered that the May meeting of the Unit 7 Extension Advisory Council often conflicts with school graduation plans, and suggesting moving that date to the third Tuesday in April. Discussion was held and youth members affirmed that it would be difficult for them to make a May meeting date. Sugandhi Sivahumar motion to amend the date of the last meeting by striking May 16 and adding April 18. The motion was second by Dave Dyer, Motion carried.
· Kyle McEwen discussed positive results of Mercer Better Together initiative; he now serves as its director.
· Kyle McEwen advised council members to read Educator's "5 points" reports in their packets that highlights programming and achievements since the last Council meeting.
· Information on SNAP-Ed and Ag in the Classroom are also included in the packet.
· Jenny reviewed staffing positions for Unit 7. Funding for the Metro Youth Development Educator is no longer available. Two new SNAP-Ed Community Workers are starting next month and will be based on at the Milan location. Interviews for the SNAP-Ed Educator are scheduled for October 18, 2018; Region 2 Director leads the search for that position. Carol Kendall, Office Support Assistant for Henry-Stark, is retiring the end of August.
· Unit 7 educators are involved in three Interdisciplinary Collaboration with Extension (ICE) grant proposal submisisons. Haley Haverback's team is look at natural lawn care, and Kristin Bogdonas' team is looking at a tray waste study. Russell Medley's team submitted a disaster preparedness proposal to address domestic animals, livestock, and zoo animals.
· The Council proceeded with election of officers. Dave Dyer made a motion and was seconded by Rex Johnson to appoint Emma Webster as secretary and retain the current slate of Barb Chiles as chair, Kyle McEwen as vice chair, Loredia Dixon as financial officer. Motion carried.
· The Unit 7 Extension Board approves the budget and typically meets the end of April / first of May. Board composition is one Council member and one County Board member from each county. Current composition: Dave Dyer and Rick Livesay, Henry County; Rex Johnson and Dena Hawn, Mercer County; Carlos Jimenez and Ginny Shelton (position will be reappointed after November elections), Rock Island County; Missy Nagode (has stepped down from the Council) and Tom Howe, Stark County. Rex Johnson made a motion and was seconded by Carlos Jimenez to appoint Emma Webster to the Extension Board representing Stark County.
· Dave Dyer made a consent agenda motion and was seconded by Nathan DeRycke to approve the In-and-Out Account audits for the Henry-Stark and Mercer County bank accounts. Motion carried.
· The Council was notified of the Unit 7 Extension's office closures of November 23-24, 2018; December 14, 2018; December 24, 2018 through January 1, 2019; May 17, 2019. These office closures have previously been approved by Ryan Hobson, Region 2 Director.
· The University of Illinois Extension Equal Opportunity in Employment Plan was distributed to Council members.
· New Council members were apprised that they need to complete their online Open Meetings Act training as University of Illinois Extension qualifies as a public body. Registration link: https://foia.ilattorneygeneral.net/CreateAccount.aspx
· The next meeting is scheduled for October 16, 2018, 6:00 p.m., at the Mercer County Extension office, 2106 SE 3rd Street.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, a motion was made by Dave Dyer and seconded by Carlos Jiménez that the meeting be adjourned. Motion carried. The meeting was adjourned at 6:48 p.m.