View Messages

Return to Forestry Herbicides

Sweetgum Fruit Control (MO)

[Post a Follow Up] [Post to this category]
From: Brenda Schaeg
Glencoe, MO
A friend received a bill from her 'lawn person' for $40 for spraying the sweetgum tree in her yard with something that is supposed to stop the tree from developing the 'gumballs'. Is there such a product?

Extension Message
From: Jay Hayek
Extension Specialist, Forestry
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
Greetings Brenda:

Yes, there are such products and they are commonly referred to as plant growth regulators. A commonly marketed plant growth regulator is Florel. Since I do not have have any experience with such products, I am at a loss to offer any objective opinion. However, I have heard, or read, many mixed results as Florel plant applications need to be timed perfectly with plant flowering.

I would strongly suggest contacting a local university horticulturist for more information regarding plant growth regulators.

[Post a Follow Up] [Post to this category]
Return to Illinois Forestry.
Search current board