View Messages

Return to Health and Safety

Raccoon Problem

[Post a Follow Up] [Post to this category]
From: Tim Grisham
Collinsville, IL
We have a raccoon problem in our backyard. I would like to trap and euthanize the raccoons myself (since hiring someone to do so is very expensive), but want to make sure I am doing so lawfully. My wife recently acquired her 2015 Resident Trapping license w/Habitat stamp -- is that what we need? If we were to trap and euthanize right now (06/05), would it be considered out of season? We just want to get rid of the problem without having to pay a fortune -- please help!

Extension Message
From: Laura Kammin
Visiting Extension Specialist, Pollution Prevention
Extension-Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant College Program
Hi Tim, You'll want to call your local IDNR district willdife biologist to get a nuisance animal permit (they are free). Just explain the issue and the IDNR biologist can issue the permit and make sure the type of euthanasia you will use is appropriate. In your area, you'll need to contact Ryan Swearingin (618) 462-1181 ext. 146.

[Post a Follow Up] [Post to this category]
Return to Living With Wildlife In Illinois.
Search current board